36

M A R Y

i ended up choosing a white bandana with black patterns on it, and one of harry's old shirts to match. he said it used to be one of his favorite, but the fans said it looked like sperm.

harry used his extraordinary baking skills to take the cake for us to go, which upset me because i really wanted to have it on the spot. it looked so good, but he said he had left icing at his house and that we would eat it together when he came over on monday.

so there i sat again, back in my own bed and recounting the memories from tonight. it was unforgettable. i was so relieved that harry knew the truth now; i no longer felt that pressing guilt every time he said something that made my head spin, and every time he pressed his lips to mine i actually believed i deserved it because i had told the truth for once in my life.

"mary, someone's here!" dad boomed from downstairs and in hopes that it was harry here to spend another night with me like monday, i rushed down the stairs and to the front door.

when i opened it, i wasn't disappointed to see penny. in fact, i was equally happy. now that we were back to being friends again, like we were before all the lying and drama, i couldn't wait to play a game of catch up with her.

"hey!" she said shyly, kicking her shoes off to reveal fuzzy socks. they reminded me of harry's. "so how was it? the festival?"

i was shaking with excitement, but unluckily for me, dad was sitting on the couch and would have heard everything. "let's go upstairs." i suggested, and we both trekked up into my bedroom where i locked the door so not even jett could hear us.

"it must be important since you don't want your dad to hear." she said quickly. i could tell she was excited to hear what the news was. and i was excited to tell her.

"i told harry the complete truth," i said, getting down to the point. "and he was okay with it. i even told him i had feelings for him, and then he kissed me."

"what?!" penny squealed, throwing herself onto the bed and bouncing ecstatically. "im so happy for you!! so you guys, you're dating?!"

"i don't know!" i yelled back honestly with a wide smile on my face. were we? was i dating one of the biggest celebrities on the planet? "but we kissed a total of like, five times!" i added. 

her cheeks turned red and i already began to feel bad for her. i knew how much she wanted to be in my position. yet she acted as if she were okay with it. but she was very easy to read. even then, she grinned and held her hands in mine. "what did i tell you about telling the truth," she asked, "back when you stole your first phone?"

i pulled it out of my pocket and stared at it for a minute. "the truth will set you free." i remembered with a faint smile, "and it did, penny."

she laughed. "i don't just pull these things out of my ass, you know."

i shoved her lightly. "i know," i joked. "you pull them out of the internet."

"nice one." she retaliated, rolling her eyes at me but looking at the almost empty tray of cookies. "since when does your mom bake you cookies?"

i shrugged. i honestly didn't know, but all i knew was that it was since harry started making his visit and they were aware of them. "a week or so ago." i said, going off of my better judgement.

penny smiled warmly. "i know that you know im going to ask this... but can i have a couple?"

i sighed, knowing the rest was white chocolate chip and i had saved the best for last on purpose. but then again, white chocolate was penny's favorite as well. "sure." i gave in. "help yourself."