29

H A R R Y

"what's taking you so damn long?" i called playfully, getting bored with the game. the outcome was obvious, there was no doubt that brazil was going to win the world cup. they already had a 6 point lead ten minutes into the game. i was unamused.

i pulled up my fluffy, unmanly-like socks, and trekked into the hallway. from there i found my way down the stairs and there stood mary, reading a piece of paper with an open mouth.

"what is it?" i asked softly, making her jump. but she stayed calm, folding the paper up and slipping it in her hoodie pocket that she was wearing with leggings now. i took a glimpse of her butt, but looked away when i felt a pang of guilt.

she shrugged and walked over to me, her flip flops making noise with every step. "nothing." she dismissed it. i wouldn't really call that a lie. "just that letter from penny she had told me to read alone."

i took that as my hint to butt out. "oh." was all i said in response, my mouth shaped like the letter.

she glanced at me awkwardly. "i have to pee." she said suddenly and i laughed. how adorable was she.

"you didn't before?" i asked playfully. "must've taken you a long time to read that letter..."

she went from playful to serious in a matter of seconds. i assumed that i had hit a nerve, making me regret what i said right away. "actually, i was just reminiscing over what it said." she explained bashfully.

"wanna talk about it?" i asked kindly. not only did i want to be the one friend that was there for her and had her back, but i wanted to take this as an opportunity to get closer to her. i knew that i was capable of being mary's one and only. all i had to do was get her to see that, too.

and to my delight, she gave me a wide smile. "id love to talk to you about it, harry." she cooed. "after i take this pee."

i laughed along with her. she was so beautiful, and deep down i dont think that i would have wanted anyone else to steal my journal.

*

after she came back from the bathroom, she joined me in her lovely bedroom. she shut the door for privacy and we sat on her bed, eating some of the cookies leftover.

"so..." i started, my mouth full of crumbs. mary found that funny for some reason. "what did the letter say?"

"well." she frowned, deep in thought. "she basically said that she wants to be friends again." mary stated, "and that she's sorry for being a fake bitch."

i laughed. "i feel like you made that last part up."

she shook her head quickly. i could tell she was telling the honest truth, but overexaggerating just a little bit. "im telling the truth." she said softly, staring deep into my eyes. i had to look away because her gaze was so intense, and i was worried that if she stared deep enough she would find my feelings for her. "so what should i do?" she asked me, and i felt like the weight of the world was being rested on my shoulders.

"erm..." i droned, trying to find the right words to tell her. it was pretty hard, because i definitely did not want to give mary the wrong advice. "i think you should forgive her." i finally decided, even though seeing penny more frequently would be hard to handle. "after all, you've been best friends for how long?"

she sat crossed legged on the bed, and i did the same. the television was cut off now, because it had been too much of a distraction.

my hands raked through my curly hair, tugging at my bandana in the process. i felt too comfortable in mary's home. in her bedroom. it was strange but familiar.

"ten years." she choked out. i could see tears brimming her eyesight. oh no. "me and penny have been friends since we were seven."

shit.

"oh, um..." i stammered, wondering what to do when she started crying. i decided to do the most manly thing and pull her in for a tight hug, and her face immediately sunk into my shoulder. it was probably one of the most comforting and pleasant feeling in the world, to have someone close to you who you cared deeply for. i wish she knew how much being her source of comfort meant to me.

"sorry." she cried into my shoulder. my shirt was going to be wet, no doubt. "i just don't know what to do."

i smiled even though she couldn't see my face. "i just told you, darling. forgive her. or else you won't be able to forgive yourself."

shoot, i just called her darling.

she pulled away at once, making my heart race. "did you just call me darling?" she asked, her cheeks a rosy red. why had she reacted that way? she couldn't have feelings for me. no, this was a one way street. that was irrefutable.

"yeah." i said without second thought, searching her eyes for any sign of disapproval. i didnt find not one. "sor-"

she stunned me by pressing her smooth, plump lips to my cold cheek. a weird feeling spread through my whole body, like i was levitating or floating away from the ground beneath me. the contact of her lips on my body, i just couldn't deny the rush it gave me. heat flowed to them immediately and i knew that they had to have turned red from the contact.

"thank you." she said sweetly, before laying down on her bed with her eyes closed like she was in complete bliss. so was i.

i laid down with her, both our stomachs pointed upwards and our backs to the bed. we stared up at the ceiling, and simultaneously our eyes met. my stomach dipped like it would on a roller coaster.

mary really did take my breath away.

"harry." she said smiling into my eyes. i was captivated; completely lost in her eyes that were a sea of ocean blue.

i had to blink twice before coming back to earth. "yeah?"

"wanna..." she drew out her words, and each second her voice was in the air i felt myself drifting farther and farther away from reality.

"wanna... play an icebreaker game?"

i chuckled, sitting upright. she copied my actions, which was more than a little bit cute. "sure, like what?" i still could not believe that she had kissed me. on the cheek, but still. lips to body. still counted.

"um... how about this?" she smiled, biting her index finger and staring at me intently. "i ask you a question about you and then you answer it. then you ask me a question."

that made me grin. she was so cheesy, it was like we were made for each other. a match made in heaven. "isn't that like twenty questions?" i teased, leaning in.

she giggled and nodded. "it'll be fun, i promise."

"okay." i gave in, even though deep down i was already on board with the idea from the moment she had said my name. "hit me with the first question."

"alrighty!" she bounced, biting into a white chocolate chip cookie, my favorite. i hoped she didn't eat them all.

"what are you going to do when the break is over?"