16

M A R Y

zayn was actually correct. exactly fifteen minutes later, the doorbell rang-- and the black haired superstar rushed out of the kitchen to answer it.

harry nervously looked over to me. "this isn't looking too good for us." he said, but i could tell that he was partially joking. "zayn said guests. not friends."

i furrowed my brow. what was that supposed to mean? weren't you supposed to have guests at a party, or was i mistaken for the british way of life?

but truth be told, i was having so much fun. flirting around and throwing red solo cups at each other was much more fun than crying over someone's dead lover in a movie. drinking straight from two-liter soda bottles just to piss louis off made me laugh more than any movie ever word. and laughing my butt off with harry was better than any first date i had ever had, even if it was while we were decorating his house.

just then, louis came strolling into the room-- but he didn't look angry, which was a shock. after all, harry had knocked him out cold. wasn't he upset about that at all?

"hey, harry." he said cooly. harry just smiled and waved like nothing had happened earlier. "it seems kendall is here."

harry's eyes widened and it made me wonder what it was about this kendall girl that was so cringeworthy.

"what's up?" i asked him as if we were talking about the weather. "who's kendall?"

harry looked at me solemnly. "kendall jenner. we used to date a while ago and she's like that crazy ex that won't go away. she always shows up to the lads' parties and it always comes out in the press!"

i gave him a sideways glance. why didn't he just tell her to leave?

all of a sudden, a loud booming sensation could be felt in my shoes. the sound of loud music from the next room over filled my ears.

"oh my god." harry chuckled and looked over to louis. "please don't tell me that zayn brought karaoke to the party."

the two exchanged glances and burst out into a fit of laughter. "we have got to check it out." louis jeered, giving harry a nudge which caused him to laugh. "and bring mary in the manger with you. it'll be fun."

if we were in one of those cheesy cartoons, smoke would be pouring out of my ears by now. "it's jesus." i said with gritted teeth.

"huh?" louis smirked.

"jesus in the manger!" i practically screamed. "not mary."

he threw his hands up in self defense. louis had to be the cockiest out of the five, even though i was yet to meet two of them. i guess that would be happening soon.

"sorry, my bad." he said, but his face didn't say that he really meant it. "i'll just call you mary, then."

i nodded in acknowledgement. "let's go play some karaoke."

we walked into the other room, where unrecognizable bodies were dancing to the thumping music. harry and louis stood on a couch, mouthing the lyrics to a popular song that i had heard on the radio all the time. him and louis really were the best of friends, and it was adorable.

"come on, mary!" louis yelled over the loud music. "how about you sing some karaoke with us?"

my legs started to wobble, and soon i felt like they could give in at any moment. that was my absolute worst weakness-- stage fright. there was no way that i was going to sing in front of all these people.

"no way." i frowned, watching harry enthusiastically sing the lyrics to one of his own songs. it must've been a favorite of his.

louis' face lit up at once. "let's sing no control."

i furrowed my brow. what song was that? i had never heard of it before in my life. but one thing was for sure. "louis, i am not singing in front of all these strangers!"

somehow i managed to hear louis' chuckle over the loud music and people shouting. "harry, want to sing no control with mary and i?"

harry looked over to me, searching my eyes for any disapproval. he must've found a lot, because he looked at me apprehensively.

"why not, mary?" he pouted and with every passing second of his puppy dog face i felt more and more obliged to get up and sing with them. "why don't you want to have fun?"

okay, so he was right about that. this was supposed to be my one chance to try something new. after all, i was at an a-list party somehow while penny was probably at home stuffing her face with ice cream. it wouldn't hurt to try.

"okay." i gave in, and the DJ must've heard because right then the first notes to a weirdly familiar song started playing.

"no control!" harry sang the first two words with all his heart and soul, and it was not a shock to say that he sounded like an angel sent from heaven. he giggled like a little teenager and so did louis, and a few seconds later he patted him on the back.

"oooh!" louis sang, and soon all eyes were on all three of us.

this was definitely going to be a long night.