27

please don't forget to vote and inline comment :)

M A R Y

mom suggested that harry stay the night. his car was not parked in our driveway as usual, so a friend, likely louis, must've dropped him off. plus he was drowsy and confused in general.

so i led him up to my bedroom, unsure of what to do. i mean, there was nothing to do. i didn't have board games, i couldn't strike an interesting conversation. my journal was stuffed under his bed for goodness sakes.

"im bored." he said, sounding similar to a child, but a bubbling laugh followed. "let's play clue."

the ends of my mouth curled into a frown. if only harry knew how boring i was, i don't think that he would hang out with me. "i don't have that game." and he pouted.

"trouble?"

"don't have that, either." i answered with a clipped tone. harry was acting so childish and it was strange, foreign.

"do you have sorry?" he pried.

"no." i snapped.

"snakes and ladders?"

"dammit, harry." i said, raising my voice a little. he winced and cowered onto my bed, making me feel bad at once. i consoled him by giving him a tight hug. "the only board game i have is monopoly."

"i want to be the race car." he said, his eyes full of excitement.

*

we played an awfully long game of monopoly, which harry managed to win even though in the moment he was as goofy as could be. the only reason he probably got the victory was because he got lucky and landed on the boardwalk. that son of a gun spent all his money on that thing. every last dollar.

mom came upstairs with cookies, and harry ate most of those. he kicked off his shoes, getting comfortable now, and i could tell that the sugar in the cookies was waking him up.

"so tell me..." he droned aloud. "why that restaurant? instead of any other?"

i had an idea as to why, but i wasn't exactly sure of it yet. "we just have been there for as long as i can remember." i gave him my best, honest answer-- which was strange. "im not sure why."

"it was nice." he smiled up at me from his laying position. "id like to eat there more often."

"my parents seem to like you." i responded truthfully. "that's good. they'll probably let you hang out with us more-- maybe even make you."

harry looked stunned.

"that's what they do for me, anyway." i added with a giggle.

he smiled warmly. for some strange reason, harry look awful comfortable lying on top of my bed, arms crossed over his chest and long legs dangling off the edge. from his position he managed to watch the television, a showing of the most recent soccer game that had been prerecorded.

"louis would love to see this." harry beamed, his eyes intent on the television. i didn't know how he managed to stay engaged with this kind of thing, but he looked cute and i got to admire him like this so that made up for it considerably. "louis loves soccer, you know. he plays for the rovers. well, used to. long story."

"yeah." i said cautiously, trying not to get in the way of his entertainment. although, it seemed as if i were to, he would be kind about it. that's just the kind of person harry was.

"speaking of louis..." he took his eyes off the screen and stared intently into my eyes the way he did with the tv, making my heart skip several beats. "are you pumped for the music fest next weekend we're accompanying him to? because i wasn't at first; now i am!" he grinned from ear to ear, triggering me to smile as well. it was like a domino effect with harry.

"yeah!" i said with mock excitement. really, i had been stoked from the start. any chance to spent time with harry was something i looked forward to, but was trying to limit so i didn't become obsessed.

suddenly i realized my urge to use the bathroom, so i turned the volume up for harry and left without a second thought. i would be back quickly, anyway.

i ventured into the living room, where the lights were slightly dimmed, and on my way to the bathroom i noticed an envelope sitting on the couch.

me, being the curious little shit i was, sneaked over and read the side.

read this ALONE
TO: mary
FROM: penny

i had forgotten all about this.