49

M A R Y

the store opened not too much later. fans were kept in check by security, and if they didn't have a specific item that had to be printed off from the official website, then they couldn't come in. it was some sort of preorder, so that we knew they came to buy something and not just to maul harry and louis' faces off.

a few people came back to the bakery, but not many. the most popular items were cinnamon rolls, and slices of lemon cake. we had plenty of that already and barely had to work.

however, one particular fan was holding an american flag bandana and mascara stained her cheeks.

"harry, i love you so much." she cried, and i could tell that she mean it. i felt bad right away, because not only had i not fallen in love with harry, not quite anyway, she wanted him more than anything in the world. i felt selfish.

"can you sign my bandana please?"

"sure." he said smoothly, pulling a pen out of his pocket and taking the cloth from her possession. he touched it so delicately like it was priceless to him. he signed his name and handed it back.

the fan squealed with excitement. "you deserve the world, harry, and if that means a girlfriend and maybe a life partner that isn't me im okay with that. because you deserve happiness. i love you."

harry smiled from ear to ear. "i love you too."

she started to cry heavily as she walked away, and i watched sadly and she left the store and the door let out its familiar chime.

about two minutes till the bakery closed, and harry and i were cleaning up, mike walked into the store. i felt my blood run cold as he walked over to us.

"hey, mary." he said, a lack of emotion in his voice. "i see that you're hanging out with the a list celebrities now. not enough time for me."

a scowl formed on my face. i didn't want to hurt his feelings, but he was making that really hard for me. "mike, this is my job."

"i wonder how you got it." he scoffed. "the only people working here are harry styles, louis tomlinson, and his mom is keeping watch of things. how are you the only average joe that has a job here!"

i opened my mouth to speak. "because-"

"maybe because you're too busy having sex with the owner!" he screeched, and stormed out the store. harry stood there, dumbfounded. anne just looked at the two of us and didn't say a thing.

"you could have let him down a little bit more easily." harry said with a small smile. "plus, he was wrong anyway. we haven't gotten even close to that." he laughed at mike's stupidity. i laughed, too.

it just felt hard loosing a friend in a flash like that. because i knew when we came back to school on monday he would not be talking to me.

the bakery closed and harry and i locked it up, pulling the metal gate over it no one could enter but the rest of the store was still accessible.

"some night, huh?" he asked, wiping his forehead and i giggled as shoppers walked all around us.

"you ready for your first paycheck?"

i laughed. "on my first day?"

i followed him over to the bandana rack, where he picked up an american flag bandana and quickly signed it. "my biggest fan." he said with a smirk and tied it around my head for me.

i was completely smitten. "so you're paying me in bandanas and not money?" i teased. "pretty sure that's illegal."

harry rolled his eyes. "and im pretty sure you can wait until next friday for your actual paycheck. see you later, mary."

he gave me a quick parting kiss and i waved to both him and louis, who was miserably working the cash register, and left the store.

if only i had a ride back.

"hey!" a voice called. i turned to face where it had come from and was surprised to see mike standing beside his car. "need a ride?"

i wanted to say no, but at the same time i knew that he would take this opportunity to talk things out. and i wanted things resolved between us.

"sure."

i walked over and he helped me into his car, and soon after we took off. i waved at harry before the store disappeared from sight.

"im sorry about what i said." mike apologized. that took me by surprise. "i know you're not boning one of the most famous hot dudes out there. maybe steamy kissing, but ive known you for a while. and i know that you two would be the type to take it slow. so im happy for you."

i couldn't contain my smile. "thank you."

"i just wish you could've told me the truth from the start, though." he shrugged. "but it's okay."

"okay." i grinned. "are we good?"

he looked at me for a brief second before looking at the road again. "we're good, mary miller."

"and by the way, nice bandana. again."