15

H A R R Y

okay, this couldn't have gotten any worse.

thanks to zayn coming in at the worst time possible, mary and i were stuck stacking up solo cups to form a pyramid, which would probably be knocked down by the first partygoer that laid eyes on it anyway.

"i'm so sorry." i apologized, and i was sure that was the fifth time this hour that i had said those three words. mary just gave me a kind smile, which baffled me to no end. how could she be so sweet now, but then say those things about me on twitter? i was dying to know what was going on in her brain. "i didn't think it would turn out like this, to be honest."

she let out a light laugh. "maybe if you wouldn't have knocked your best friend out, we wouldn't be in this situation-- but it's quite alright."

dammit, she was right.

i gave an awkward smile and handed her a pair of latex gloves. "here's the best part."

she didn't take them from my extended hand, making me confused as ever. "i'm allergic to latex."

i quickly pulled it back. oh my god, what kind of friend was i? basically offering to poison her with cleaning supplies. who was going to deal with my terrible self?

she must have noticed the look on my face because she giggled and took the gloves from my grasp. "i was joking around with you." she said with a wide smile. "you're so gullible, harry!"

even though her little joke was not funny at all, i laughed it off. i was seriously worried about her for a second.

"so..." she mused, slipping them on. "how is this the funnest part?"

my mind floated back to what i was prepared to say before. "we get to move all the dead rats from my basement."

mary instantly cowered. "no way in hell i'm doing that, harry." she chuckled. "you are on your own in this one."

"oh really?" i raised an eyebrow. "that's quite funny, considering i was just joking with you." i used her words against her, instantly making her squeal and punch me in the elbow. geez. she was strong.

"harry!" she exclaimed. "okay, i'm sorry-- but if there really are rats down there, they won't be the only things that are dead." she snickered.

okay, now i could see that mean side of her. i don't know how, but she still managed to make it attractive. shit.

i put my hands up in defense. "i'll take your word on that, mary miller. you are quite the scary girl." i laughed, and she laughed along with me.

now, the sun was setting, and the lights we had strung up around the house had begun to illuminate themselves. it was a pretty sight, and pretty cool to say that we had done it ourselves.

but even still, i wished so much to had been able to see that movie with her. it would've been so much fun, and thanks to zayn and louis we were missing out on it. what a perfect date-- ruined.

"follow me, love." i said smoothly, and when i realized what words had come out of my mouth it was too late. i just prayed she didn't notice and walked into the kitchen. there zayn stood, hovering over the island, and when he pulled away one of those spinning strobe lights were brought to life. i laughed with amazement and mary just gasped from behind me.

i playfully elbowed my heavily tatted friend. "i swear, after this place gets trashed you're cleaning every inch."

zayn just shook his head. "liam is coming soon, and in a quarter hour or so the guests should start coming."

what was he talking about? that wasn't what louis had said when he was throwing a party. he said friends, not guests. friends meant people that the both of us knew. but guests, that meant random people i didn't know-- and people zayn probably didn't know either.

and that meant a disaster of a first date.