48

M A R Y

as promised, mike dropped me off right outside of harrys stores. the lights were on but thankfully no fans had bothered to show up yet.

"looks like you're here early." he said, leaning over and gazing out of the passenger side window. "want to stay in the car for a bit? it's cold out."

i shook my head. "i think ill just go in. it's fine, really. thanks for the ride."

i looked over and he was gazing at me sadly, that same look that harry used to give me every time he asked about his missing leather journal. i wondered if mike was missing something important.

"well, ill see you next monday at school then." he said glumly. "later."

i meekly smiled and waved, slinging my leather jacket over my arms before walking out into the cool october air. in all honesty, it wasn't too bad and i wouldn't have minded standing outside for a couple of hours. the most bothersome factor would've been the standing.

i opened the door and walked to the back of the store, where harry and louis were standing. they seemed to be making last minute preparations for the grand opening of the store.

"you got here quite quick." louis commented. "it's about three thirty."

i smiled at harry and he smiled back, going back to what he was doing before. it looked like he was sorting out where certain ingredients belonged.

i just brushed louis' observation. "oh, a friend just drove me here."

harry looked up again and raised an eyebrow. "why didn't penny just come in, then?"

now that would be hard to explain. i forgot all about the protective harry thing and the mike deal. "um... because it was a guy."

harrys hand loosened and he dropped what was in his hand. it looked like it was a canister of sprinkles. "oh." he said with a half grin. "what's his name?"

"er-- mike." i said quickly. i suddenly felt awkward with louis and harry both staring at me like i had committed a crime. "we're just friends, and we have been since freshman year."

harry nodded. it looked like he had some understanding, but his tone of voice said the opposite. "what kind of car does he drive?"

"red porsche." i answered.

louis' eyebrows crinkled in concentration as he looked out one of the windows on the other side of the store, next to the bandana rack. "then why is your friend still parked outside the store?"

i glanced over and sure enough, mike's car was still sitting there patiently. like he was waiting for me to come out.

-

about two hours later, the door for the store entrance chimed and in walked a middle aged looking lady. she was pretty for her age, and i assumed from the looks of her face that i was glancing at harrys mother.

"mum!" harry chimed when he saw her, only a few seconds after i did. "it's been quite some time. ive missed you!"

the woman smiled from ear to ear. harry must've been the nicest son to ever have. i could've only imagined. "look at all you're doing for the greater good." she smiled, walking over and when she was close enough pulled harry in for a hug. "i knew that someday, even when you were a pop star, you'd move on to better things."

he just smiled like a kid who had been given a lollipop.

"and louis!" she basically screamed. he blushed like he was just as important to her as harry was. a second son. "you haven't grown a bit, dear. you're still five feet tall."