12

M A R Y

"you look so good today, mary." mom complimented me. we were both looking at the reflecting of myself in my vanity mirror. "this guy, whoever he is, is going to drop dead when he sees how nice you look."

now, being raised in a lying family, i didn't believe that she thought i looked nice at all. but that didn't matter, because in my opinion i looked like a goddess.

my phone chimed and mom dismissed herself. she knew better than to get involved in my personal life. dad and her knew better, anyway. i couldn't say the same for my little brother jett.

"who's texting you?" he pried curiously, his head appearing under the threshold. "it's a boy, isn't it? what's his name? i want to know it aaaaalll."

i smacked my forehead. "go away, you little brat."

his bottom lip started trembling. oh no. he wasn't going to...

he went into an all out wail, screaming for mom to come and cuddle him because i had 'hurt his feelings'. oh boy, did i hate having a little sibling.

from: harry aka bae
im waiting outside in my black range rover. do you think that your parents still think it's the neighbors? ;)

my heart did somersaults just by imagining him saying this to me, face-to-face.

i locked my screen and slung my purse over my shoulder, keeping my phone- that i had stolen and claimed as mine in freshman year- close at hand.

as expected, mom came running into the room and when she realized the situation, she rolled her eyes. leave it to jett to cause a fuss to get whatever he wanted.

"how many times will i have to tell you to stop doing this?" she scolded, reprimanding him by slapping him on the behind. he cried out-- for real this time, and with a sigh i walked out of my room.

when i opened the front door, just as he had said, harrys car was sitting patiently in our driveway. i walked over to it as calm as i could, even though on the inside i was freaking out. i prayed he hadn't gotten any hints about the whole twitter fiasco, because i was ready to delete the account.

"hey." he said warmly when i opened the passengers side door and hopped in. my heart was racing. "where do you want to go for our date?"

this was surreal. thank goodness he had treated me as equal or else i would've thought he had something for penny-- that whore. i was sure he didn't like me either though.

i thought for a minute. "um... movie."

his eyes glimmered. "great! exactly what i was hoping you'd say!"

he turned the engine over.

"huh?"

he turned to look at me. "well, when i invited you last night i wanted you to see this cool movie with me called best of me."

i raised an eyebrow. "don't tell me you're into the nicholas sparks movies." i said as a joke, but really i loved them as well. i always had, and i was more than down to see a romantic movie with harry.

"i am." he said with mock shame. "i was wondering if maybe you wanted to go see that with me!"

his glasses made him look mysterious, but his tone said the exact opposite. he was so adorable, but so hot. and hot overruled for sure. "of course, harry-- how could i say no?"

he gave me a warm grin and started to pull out of the driveway. soon enough we were heading down the street. we passed tall evergreen trees, and short shrubs. blue jays were everywhere you looked, hence the name of our neighborhood-- blue jay terrace.

"so tell me... what did you and penny watch?"

harry scoffed. "me and penny? we watched up."

ugh. that was actually kind of romantic.

"she fell asleep for most of it."

just kidding.

i smiled to myself, hoping harry didn't notice. "i told you, she's the worst."

harry glanced at me for only a second. in that second i swear that i had lost all the sanity within me. "you told me she was the worst?" he paused. "you and her are always biting each other's throats, gossiping about each other to me. if you have a problem the two of you need to sort it out yourselves. you know, girl on girl?"

i frowned right away. "she's talking about me to you?"

he nodded solemnly, like he didn't wish it was true. i didn't either. i mean, she was a slut, and a whore, and a filthy skank, but i would never tell harry any of that. "she said you were a horrible person and not to get involved with you."

penny said that?

she better wish it wasn't true.