Chapter 1

"I can't believe you're doing this." My best friend, Matt said, as he rode in the passenger seat. His full name is Kenneth Matthew Gibson. Obviously, I call him by his middle name. I'm the only person that is allowed to call him Matt or Matthew, besides my sister, Solange or his mom. His dad was never around, and still isn't, so it makes sense that his mom him her last name.

Anyways. Me and Matt have been best friends since we were five years old, in kindergarten. The first day of school, we became best friends. We were coloring. He had the markers that I wanted, but he didn't want to share, so I took them and ran to another table. He sat next to me, and made fun of my ears. I did the same to him. It's been history since that day, you rarely us without each other.

Matt and I are practically the same person. He plays on varsity basketball, we both do. His jersey number is three, like mine. We have the Roman numeral number three tattooed on our wrists, we're that close. We both go to Crenshaw High in South Central, California.

"Because I need the money, Matt." I stressed.

"I've been telling you fast food place is a good-"I made a left turn.

"I keep telling you that eight dollars an hour isn't enough. Plus I don't have anymore room in my busy schedule." I'm eighteen, senior in high school, taking college prep classes, honor classes, and I'm on the varsity basketball team.

"There are ways around-"

"What I'm doing is fine, and it's fast. Just what I need. No one, besides you and I, know that I'm making this money. Perfect way to keep the money that I'm making to myself. You know how they are." I glanced at him.

He sighed. "I know, but I wish there was something less risky where you could make the same amount of money."

"I have to do what I have to do." I shrugged and made a right turn.

"You can't ask your brother for help, with the money situation. He did buy this car, right?" I have an older brother, Darian, that lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. He's twenty-five years old.

My mom loss our townhouse home, about eight or nine months ago. She was doing so well, very well. She is a home daycare provider. The money was great! We had everything we wanted and needed. Everything went south when her parents start losing their jobs, due to the lay off quota.

Losing children, means losing money. Money we no longer had, but desperately needed. Our house went into foreclosure, because she couldn't make the payments. We were living in a middle class neighbor in West Hollywood.

She had to find another job, waitressing at Outback Steakhouse. My mom is a teacher by day, and a waitress by night. She's barely home, so imagine who runs things around the house.Her tips went towards gas, and lunch money for my sixteen year old sister, Solange. That's if it doesn't go to her boyfriend's new found drug habit.

They've been together for about seven years now. When they started dating, I was skeptical about their relationship. That's because I missed my daddy being around, but that's a story for another time. Her boyfriend, my stepdad, is annoying, but he wasn't always that way. Two of us used to be really close and I thought he was a cool guy. He treated my mom like a Queen, and that's all that really mattered to me.

"My brother doesn't know, and he doesn't need to know." I glanced at Matt.

"Wait...So he doesn't know about Chico and John?!" See, Chico and John, are men in their mid twenties. They work at the warehouse, where my stepdad, Timothy, used to work. They live in our garage. We have a three bedroom house, what I like to call a shack. In my opinion, it's small. I guess that's because I'm used to a huge, spacious home.