Chapter 68 || "Perfection."

I s2g I wrote this chapter before Perfect was released this is just rlly coincidental

- Pandora -

You don't know what you've got until it's gone - a saying so main stream, so overused, I had almost forgotten its true meaning.

Until now

-

I watched him sorrowfully, drinking him in like an alcoholic would wine. He was so beautiful, so perfectly imperfect, it was enough to make my eyes water, a lump forming in the base of my throat.

You see, I had never truly looked at Ashton before. Never intently studied his features until now, as he stood before me with his bottom lip tucked between his teeth and his hazel eyes hooded with sorrow, demeanour open and vulnerable.

I wished to hold him. Cling to him as if he were the air I breathed and I couldn't last a single day without him. But I couldn't.

Not yet, not now.

"How could you not tell me?" I questioned softly, attempting - and failing - to hide the pure, unadulterated pain in my voice.

Ashton avoided my question, his broad shoulders rising and falling in an action to say 'I don't care enough to answer'. It hurt, yet I swallowed back my pride and asked again - determined

"I don't know, Pandora." He muttered, his eyes scanning the entirety of the small bathroom we had locked ourselves into - everything but me "I didn't want to hurt you."

"And you think this is better?" I scoffed "To find out from your drunken best friend."

"From some perspectives, yes."

"You're an idiot."

"I'm your idiot, though."

I rolled my eyes, ignoring his small attempt to woo me. His affection was wasted on me, especially in a moment like this - where I could not properly appreciate the sincerity of his actions - and I did not have the energy to respond, leaving me to brush it off as if it never happened.

"So you're going on tour?

"Yeah." He nodded, fiddling nervously with the bottom of his wrinkled shirt. He sat upon the edge of the bath and I sat on the toilet, just across from him at close proximity.

He smelt of sweat and cologne.

"When do you leave?"

"Saturday," he replied "just after Graduation. Harry's picking us up from the school."

"Harry?" I frowned, confusion etched upon my face "Why is Harry picking you up?"

"He works with Simon," Ashton answered, studying the large bath mat beneath his feet "I think he's his assistant? I don't know, he calls him uncle."

"Uncle?"

"That's what I thought."

There was then a silence between us, not awkward or irritating, but relaxing, as if we were basking in the warmth of each other's company. I took comfort in his presence as he did mine, and we sat like that for a matter of minutes, relishing the very energy between us.

But of course, all good things have to come to an end.

"Ashton," I mumbled, subconsciously braiding the ends of my knotted hair "how long are you away for?"

"I don't know," he shrugged, his hair falling in front of his eyes - a shield "a long time."

"When will you get back?"