Chapter 25 || "Fuck it."

Disclaimer: I am not American nor Australian. We don't have Target where I'm from, so I legit had to fücking google what they sell, and according to the website they sell food

So I'm sorry if it isn't correct x

- Pandora -

For the rest of the week, I avoided Ashton as much as I could, occasionally talking to him in school before hurriedly walking away again.

It's not that I felt awkward; it was just that - for once - Luke was right. I was in a completely different social class to Ashton. If I started dating him, the whole system would fall apart.

It would be like High School Musical, but worse.

I could see that it was hurting him - I really could - but by avoiding him, I was technically protecting him. It probably sounded like bullshít to everyone else, but it made sense to me.

"Avocados, ice cream- Pandora! Are you even listening to me?"

Crashing back into reality, I sent Evie a small nod, cutting the engine before slipping the keys into my pocket. We were parked outside Target, Evie's shopping list held tightly in my hand.

When she had said she needed to do some shopping, I thought she had just meant the minor things. NOT EVERY ITEM IN THE FÜCKING SHOP.

"Is it okay if I wait here?"

"Why?"

She just shrugged, focusing her attention on the busy store in front of us.

"I just hate the smell."

I frowned, wondering why in the hell I was friends with this chick. We were basically complete opposites - apart from the fact we were both blonde and socially awkward.

"What does it smell like?"

"I don't know," she mumbled, slightly shivering as if she were reliving a terrible memory "I just hate it."

I softly nodded as if I understood her crazy äss excuse - which I didn't - opening my door and hopping out. The Australian weather welcomed me with open arms, drenching my skin in the burning sunlight.

I thanked the gods that I had worn a short sleeved school shirt before heading towards the shop, the doors automatically opening to invite me in. Inside, a gust of cold air blew over me, causing me to let out a relieved sigh. Not that I didn't love a little heat, but there was something pretty uncomfortable about boiling in your own skin.

I studied the checkouts curiously as I walked by; slightly disappointed at the fact there were no hot workers. All I wanted was an Alex to fulfil my Target needs, yet all I received was some sweaty guy named Hugo who loved to eat and read comics. Don't get me wrong, he was lovely, but not exactly what I was looking for.

"May I help you?"

I spun around to face a random girl, around my age, with hazel eyes and curly brown hair that reached down to her waist. She was slightly shorter than me; her cheeks flushed a pretty shade of pink.

Her name tag read Isabella.

"Um, yeah actually." I chuckled, awkwardly shoving Evie's shopping list out towards the slightly flustered employee.

"Oh- Okay."

I watched happily as she unfolded the sheet of paper, her hazel eyes skimming over the words before she slightly nodded. She was a fast reader, which slightly impressed me.

"I'm sorry it's so big," I apologised, casually tucking my hands into the back pockets of my jeans "my friends went on this diet and- Well, you can see for yourself."