Chapter 30 || "What are you, his mother?"

I know the picture isn't Ashton - but can we just talk about this for a second.

- Calum -

Natalia was up to something.

I had no clue what it was - or where it would lead to - but I knew she was planning something.

Something involving me.

Her chocolate brown eyes would constantly flicker towards Luke before returning to me, an innocent smile plastered across her face. I would smile back, but I knew something was up.

Nobody looks at someone that many times without a reason.

At first, I thought maybe she just liked him. Y'know, one of those cute friendship type things that are literally the storyline to every fücking romance movie. But as time went on, I realised she didn't look at him with affection. It was worry.

She was worried for him.

"Natalia, is everything okay?"

Her eyes slightly widened before she quickly regained her composure, shooting me a soft smile.

"Of course."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing." I quickly replied, trying to stop my cheeks from turning ruby red "I was just wondering if something was wrong with Luke."

Natalia's entire mood shifted, yet she continued to smile, her eyes scrunched up into - what could almost be described as - a wince. She knew I had caught on, which meant she could either explain what was going on or tell me a shít ton of lies.

Apparently, she chose the latter.

"Everything's fine," she assured, tugging nervously at the ends of her curly black hair "I'm just making sure he behaves."

"Behaves?" I snorted, raising my eyebrow questioningly "What are you, his mother?"

"Someone's sassy." She retorted, causing my cheeks to slightly redden.

"Sorry."

She just shook her head, taking a small step backwards as the song ended. A tidal wave of relief washed over me as I finally let go of her waist, my feet sore from all the times she had stepped on them.

Natalia was nice, but she couldn't dance for shít.

"Well, thanks for the dance." She mumbled, shooting me a grateful smile.

"It's fine." I chuckled, awkwardly scratching the back of my neck.

We stood in silence for the next couple of seconds, awkwardly studying each other's features before Natalia finally decided to depart, walking back over to Luke. I remained where I was, a girl at the punch bowl slightly catching my eye.

Not because she was beautiful - which she definitely was - but because I recognised her.

I knew this girl.

As casually as I could, I strolled over, shoving my hands into the pockets of my trousers. The girl was pouring herself some punch, her face hidden beneath a thick curtain of straight brown hair. A thin black dress clung to her small frame, hugging her curves beautifully and ending just below her ankle. She was wearing a lace black mask, her lips painted a deep ruby red.

She was beautiful.

I let out a small cough to aware her of my presence, casually leaning against the table. She softly looked up, her misty blue eyes meeting mine before she let out a small laugh, her eyes shifting back to her cup.