Sub-Chapter 7 - What Real Trust Is

We shot forward banking and dodging as fighting erupted all around us. I saw a small air pocket in the middle of the battle field.

“This is gonna be a tight fit you guys,” I muttered heading for it.

 I banked around two battling ships and shot through the opening.

“Theta, you have guys have some company. I tried to cut them off but they got lose. I intercepted some chatter. I don’t think they know what we’re up to, I think they’re just guarding this airspace but I’m just giving you guys a heads up. Stay on your toes, these guys are good,” Jadon explained in afrustrated tone.

A battalion dropped into our zone just as he was speaking.

“You guys we’re going to have to break formation,” I warned. “We’re just going to have to meet back up on the otherside.”

Eve typed a couple of buttons in on our navigation hologram before turning to me with a deceptive smirk.

“There’s a spot north by northwest—7 miles. No through traffic, it’s wide open, let’s meet there,” She instructed.

“Okay,” Sai and Pete replied each at different times.

“Sam, get on my left and Pete, on my right,” I ordered diagraming the battlefield. “Spread out, we’re going to need room; it’s a lot of them.”

They moved into position as the battalion approached. They hesitated as if to be planning there next moved. Sam shot off to the left as a large number of the ships tailed. Pete immediately followed suit as a group of ships shot after him as well. The bulk of the ships remained

“Time for some fun,” I replied locking in on one of the ships. “You ready Eve?”

She smiled and gave me a sarcastic salute.

“Take him down, captain!” she fired with a smile.

BOOM! BOOM! I fired missiles destroying ships. I stood down wind, as they exploded I ascended with the remaining ships hot on my tails. I had to give myself some room or there was no way I was going to survive this.

“Eve,” I replied dodging an incoming shot. “I need a route, there on me hot.”

I dodge turning an aerial nose dive. They were on me like glue.

“There,” Eve warned pointing toward a group of mountain hedges. “That mountain opening, it should bottle neck them, it’ll give you a chance to trim them down. Hurry, let’s move.”

“Okey-doughkey,” I replied having the time of my life. “Let’s trim these boys down.”

BDRRRRR! BDRRRRRR! I dipped with them still trailing firing shots at my tail. I did an aerial 360 spin than banked hard to my left.  I was trying to buy time so that I would be able to turn and fight once I made it through the opening. I sold my left turn then flipped with a 180 spin back to my right toward the opening. A couple went for it but some were still hot on my tail.

BDRRRRR! BDRRRRR! They continue to fire.  It was exhilarating. It had all the fun of being in a live action movie with none of the fear of death. I was a little worried about what the pain would be like if we crashed and burned but the adrenaline was like a drug. Besides, I felt invincible in that ship. I was brimming with confidence as I made move after move. Pete was right, our counter-reactive fighting styles made us perfect pilots. It was so much easier than fighting.

“We can’t keep taking fire like this, Tim. Our shields are weakening,” Eve ordered worried.  “You’re kicking butt but one direct hit and we’re done for.”