Sub-Chapter 18: New Addition

"How?" Eve added.

Jadiel turned to her with a look that fell between surprised and empathetic. He sighed before turning to us in a leveling manner.

"Well, Jacob," he replied catching all our attentions. "Jacob Sr."

His words slowed my beating heart as I nodded trying to keep a calm demeanor. Jacob himself seemed to be at ease to hear Jade say my grandfather's name. Still his words were polarizing. My grandfather? What did he have to do with Sam's father going rogue? I leaned forward attentively as he continued.

"Jacob, like Tim chose a legion. He knew the risk of bringing Philip on but he trusted that your mother would bring him over like you did with Luke but unlike with Luke, they weren't dead, so it wasn't as obvious or cut and dry as going to retrieve a lost soul. There was no jarring experience to judge and Philip had been trained from the time he was very young. His father found him through the evil forces in your world when he entered the Juvenile center. He met his father who already knew about your mother's training. He explained to Philip about his mother and told him of his heritage and turned him before your mother could get to him. Your grandfather knew how powerful your mother was because of the many double agents here in the Heaven Realm who saw her excel time after time in the trials. So he used Philip in a plan to dispose of your mother?"

"But why just their mother?" Sai replied. "Why not the entire legion?"

He turned to her with an apologetic shrug.

"At the time, she was the legion," she replied. "And even if it meant taking out his daughter he was willing to do it to keep his spot on the council."

He stopped shaking his head in a sorrow filled manner.

"We lost contact with the legion after they graduated from the Academy but I always suspected he would be the downfall of that legion," Maxiell interrupted.

"Why?" I pressed.

"Leah was as protective of him as...Jacob is of you," he replied pointing at the two of us. "She let her guard down around him and would sacrifice herself for him without hesitation."

Jacob leaned forward. I stared at him anticipating what his words would be as he opened his mouth to speak.

"So, is that how she died?" he replied bringing everyone else in.

Jade shrugged his shoulders turning to Max. He avoided eye contact as he continued.

"We don't know?" Max replied an embarrassed tone.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Jacob shot back angrily. "Why don't you know?"

Max stood for a second as if to be composing himself then turned and walked off the transport angrily. We all stood confused by his display as Jade turned to us in a sympathetic show.

"What's the matter with him?" I asked. "Why is he leaving?"

Jade stopped and sighed in a relenting fashion.

"He doesn't know what happened to your parents because it's classified," he replied.

"How? Wasn't the the legion host?" Pete pressed.

Jade shook his no.

"He has the ability to but he...he's been hesitant to delve into it," he replied.

He stood as we all stared at him expecting him to continue but he was relenting as he stared at us unapologetically.

"That aside, the point for me telling you guys this is to explain the reason for the bias toward Sam. The rest is classified. I can't tell you until you've graduated from the academy and joined the Light Guard so leave it alone," he replied.