Sub-Chapter 22: Dom and Antz

I ducked behind a rock as Jacob, Sai, and Luke passed by still in a conversation I remember vividly from the month before. I probably should have looked around or tried to figure out what was going on but at the time I was just a kid and I was so used to my powers being on autopilot that I just learn to just go with things. I probably should have cared more but at the time I just figured it had something to do with my powers combined with what I was thinking. The science of it probably should have been more important to me. You'll find out why.

"Really, Jake, what's with you and that guy?" Luke replied. "I mean, the guy said he didn't have anything to do with what happen to your mother. In my book that's good enough. He seems like he took our parents death pretty hard. Do you really think it's fair to give him such a hard time? Why are you busting the guy's chops?"

Jacob stared back at Luke with a stern not giving glare. Why he continued to withhold some much information drove me crazy. It's like he almost got off on it. Sai tried to hide her interest with an innocent stare but an idiot could see she was as confused by Jacob's attitude as anyone. Me never missing any opportunity to eavesdrop on my brother, snuck into a prone behind a huge tree that lay just off the path.

"Luke, man, I just told you I'm not talking about it," he shot shaking his head in a I can believe you would ask that type of manner.

Luke smiled with a joking chuckle. Sai tried to force a chuckling smile but I can tell she was disappointed that Jacob wasn't spilling the beans. Luke gave him a foreshadowing smirk that threw both Sai and I off.

"You owe me," he replied pointing at Jacob.

"What?" Jacob replied.

"Don't what me?" Luke fired. "You know what? You owe me?"

Jacob stared at him as if he was trying to figure him out for a second before finally taking an exhausted sigh as if Luke's words were starting to jog his memory. He showed a begging demeanor as he threw his hands up in frustration.

"Seriously? No way, not here," Jacob replied. "This is serious. You can't use the favor now. That's not fair."

Luke pointed at him holding in his laugh as me and Sai looked on with dazed looks on her our faces.

"You asked me to lie for you so you wouldn't have to Mr. Perfect," he explaineded. "You said you had to do anything I said. That was the deal. You said anything. I did it so spill it or go back on your word."

Jacob rolled his eyes in a relenting fashion. In all the days I had known Jacob he would always go out of his way to be Mr.Perfect, so I can imagine how many times Lukes been covering for Jacob with the most insignificant smallest white lie. I'm pretty sure this one was Jacob once again needing Luke to explain his reasoning for dumping some poor girl. I really didn't care, I was more focused on whether or not Jacob was going to give in and spill the beans. Jacob gave Luke one more begging look before finally sighing and relenting with his story.

"Look, I know the guy had nothing to do with my parent's death," Jacob replied. "But there was a reason why he had to leave our parents. He broke rules that made him a risk. It was his fault our parents had no one watching over them. Therefore, in my opinion, he's responsible for my mother not being here, Okay. I know he cares about what happened to our parents but so do I and sometimes...look I'm still flesh and blood and sometimes my emotions get the best of me."

Sai stared at Jacob surprised by his words. Luke even looked as if he wasn't expecting the response. I stooped to get in better position to eavesdrop on their conversation but with their positioning it was impossible. Luke waited as if he was urging Jacob continue. Jacob crossed his arm defiantly as a stared down ensued before Luke finally broke the silence.