Sub-Chapter 13: Easy to Find What You're Not Looking For

“Abby’s only good at thinking stuff,” a voice replied.

The boy talking was the kid Kel from the beginning of the trials. He was lounging in a chair while two girls paced back and forth in front of him. I crept silently next to a chair and proned myself against a nearby wall. The BAU training I received in the simulation showcased itself as I barely made a sound.

“That is literally the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard,” Kadmiel replied cutting her eyes at him.

The girl I assumed to be Abby chuckled at the sound of Kadmiel’s words. She was a beautiful girl with wavy dark black hair. She like the rest of her team was clad in a Light Trial robe. 

“Speaking bout’ stupid, why did you do that in the last battle?” he snapped. “Go ahead and beat up the media darlings. That’s bout as stupid as stupid gets. You’re just taking sponsors out of your own pocket. You think that look good.”

He had a thick southern accent that made everything he said sound like his mouth was full of peanut butter. He wore a cowboy hat the hung low over his face as he sat back with his feet on a table that sat in front of him. He scratched his chin and chuckled as a toothpick hung loosely out of his mouth.

“That Nazarene bloodline is about as chaotic as tornado,” he replied. “You never know what’s going to happen…but it sure is fun to watch, I’ll tell ya.”

Kadmiel stared at him with a look of disdain.

“You’re an idiot,” she replied flippantly. “Besides, I practically begged that kid to invoke paradosis. That’s on them.”

She turned to Abby as if to be getting conformation from her. Abby’s gaze danced as if she was intentionally avoiding eye contact.

“Still, you need to control that temper of yours,” Kel replied.

Abby stared at the corner right next to me as if to be checking for someone. I crept closer sure she wasn’t looking at me but still being cautious in my approach.

“Where’s Sean? He’s taking forever,” she responded looking at her watch.

“Knowing him, he’s probably still signing autographs,” Kadmiel replied.

She chuckled to herself falling back exhaustedly into a chair behind her with a slouch.

“How do you like that? I’m the one who gets the win and they spend the night talking to him,” she replied playfully bitter.

 Abby smiled as she walked a couple of steps and peaked around the corner.

“Yeah, the only people close to that kid are those two Eli boys,” Kel replied.

Kadmiel took a deep breath as if to be picturing something in her head.

“Speaking of close; I liked to get closer to that, Jacob,” she replied pulling Abby’s robe. “That kid is too hot.”

Abby chuckled shaking her head humorously.

“Are guys all you think about?” she replied checking her watch.

Kel sat up and began to tap on the table like a drum as he did light alternated from the tips of his fingers causing his fingers to make a bell like tone with each tap of the table.

“You know Kaddy, romance and fighting; those are her two favorite pass times,” he replied placing his fingers together and separating them causing the light at his finger tips to play and look like an accordion.

“Oh c’mon on Abby, are you seriously saying that those kids for the Theta Delta Legion aren’t hot, not one, I understand the older kids, but that Tim, he’s a little young for me but he still should be on your dream list,” she replied leaning back.