Sub-Chapter 21: Frienemy

"Wow," Sai added. "How? I couldn't do it?"

I turned to her thrown by her words.

"What do you mean?" I shot.

"Well, you heard how close she said she and that Abby girl were, didn't you?" she replied.

She stared at me with a look that made me uneasy it was similar to the one she gave me the morning everything all began. I slightly blushed unable to continue to look her in her eyes. It was one of the weird times where her beauty was intimidating. It would happen from time to time where I felt creepy for staring at her. There was nothing wrong with thinking she was beautiful but it just felt weird for me.

"Tim?" she replied smiling looking around.

I continued to stare thinking about the weirdness of my situation involuntarily nodding.

"Hello, you want to stop staring at her like she's an alien," Eve cut in.

"Wait, what? No," I shot shaking it off. "I was thinking about what she said."

I truly couldn't remember being mesmerized by her to the point that I reacted so weirdly so subconsciously it was almost like my mind gave myself a reason to rationalize my action in my own mind.

"I'm sure you were," Jacob added. "Yeah, you looked deep in thought."

"Shut up, Jake," I shot. "I never really thought about it that way, is all? You know, the way Sai said it. It was just, it's like having to fight Pete or Sai...I just don't think I'd have the nerve to fight either of them."

Jacob eased up nodding as if to be understanding the reason for my actions. Eve on the other hand didn't seem as pleased.

"But me, Beth and Sam, oh, you'd tear us limb from limb," she replied.

"Yeah, snub-o-saurus in the room," Sam seconded walking back just as Eve finished her words. "Tell us how you truly feel?"

Jacob and Luke chuckled staring at each other immaturely.

"Seriously, you know what I meant, I've known them since we were in diapers. I couldn't imagine fighting someone that I've known as long as we've known each other, imagine what they're going through."

Eve and Sam chuckled playfully.

"So serious, dear?" Eve replied in a prissy manner.

I held my stomach pretending to be laughing.

"Well, make yourself clear next time," Sai replied playfully bopping me on the head. "It's not just us anymore."

"I'm glad you guys are having a cute little moment here but..." Luke added. "There are more pressing issues."

There was a cold feel that came over everyone watching Danielle as the proctor explained the rules. The two nodded. Danielle clinched her fist and turned her wrist as if to be preparing herself. Abby stared at the proctor exclusively not wasting a waning glance at Danielle. Danielle stared at her almost as if she was ignoring the proctor.

"Man, Dani, looks like she is somewhere else," Eve replied nervously.

She did. She could have been trying to psyche herself up but looking at the way her shoulders slumped and her eyes danced. It was hard to believe she was really about to put her all into fighting Abby.

"Yeah, I hope her head isn't messed up," Sai added. "It's like Tim said I couldn't imagine having to battle my best friend."

"Dani is a strong girl. She'll get it together," Jacob replied nodding. "Besides this means a lot to her. I've watched her practice until she dropped from the day we got here. And if that girl wants a fight she's going to get one?"