Sub-Chapter 18: Be Careful What You Wish For

Sam turned to me with a nod of his head. We both stared around the lobby as Sean, Pete, and Uriah looked on.

“Okay, then,” Pete replied dusting himself off. “Well, we’ll meet you guys later, you know, after we’ve gone over the schematics.”

“Okay, I’ll come with you guys,” Sean replied. “I mean, it’s the least I can do after putting you guys in this predicament.”

Pete and Uriah gave each other cynical glares before turning in a relenting fashion.

“Okay, we could use the help,” Uriah replied.

“Alright, then, it’s decided,” Sean replied. “I’ll see you guys later.”

I nodded as they turned and headed toward Uriah’s room. Sam and I headed into the room dropping our bags at the door as we headed for the training room. As we entered the training room we stretched and got ready with an awkward silence that seemed to fill the room.

“Look, I wanted to apologize?” Sam replied as we walked into the practice room.

“What?” I replied obliviously.

“You know, for what I said about you,” he replied in an apologetic tone.

I shook my head finally realizing what he was talking about. It slipped my mind that we had even had a fight. He just looked at me waiting for me to respond as I went over the argument from minutes earlier. I remember the feelings I had of betrayal, anger and for a time guilt and distanced myself from situation understanding Sam had a point in what he was said and I allowed it to past. Not totally, but for now it had to be put on the backburner for the greater good.

“Forget it, let’s just focus on this,” I replied signaling for him to follow.

He looked taken back by my response. He stood in place for a second then gave an awkward nod and followed me to the center of the training floor.

“Okay, what’s first,” he replied in shrugging manner.

“Well, first, we have to learn to work as a two man unit. So, as for the simulation, we’re going to go back to the Battle of New Angeles and see what went wrong and when. He nodded happy to hear it.

“Just a simulation though,” I explained trying temper him.

He nodded jumping and bounding from foot to foot like a boxer before a fight.

“I know, I know, but I still want to see how far I’ve come since then,” he replied.

I sighed still blown away by his energy and constant enthusiasm. I stared at him and steadied him signaling we were about to begin.

“Okay, on the count of three, okay,” I replied turning to him as I readied my stance. “Simulation, Battle of New Angeles, 7:45 ER Time, Latitude: 34.05, Longitude:-118.3895, Go!”

A burst of light blasted as we shot through a time warp scene. Landing in our precise spots from the day of the Battle of New Angeles. Before I could even react Sam had already leaped into action.

“Sam,” I replied leaping behind him.

WAM! WAM! SWIRL! SLAM! WAM! Sam was ferocious in his technique every move led to the next. It was clunky but brutal. This wasn’t the same Sam. He nailed one with a front kick taking the momentum into a flipping razor kick then bouncing into a clothesline before catching another beast with one hand spinning him around like a javelin before slinging him like a dart to the ground below. It was impressive to watch it took him seconds to destroy the whole platoon. He landed with a smile as the simulation disappeared.