Sub-Chapter 22: Saved and Protected

The way Luke moved was cocky and cool. Almost like everything he had done since the day I met him. I looked over at Sai. She was nervous and it was written all over her face as Benjamin dropped his hood as he walked to meet Luke in the middle of the arena. Luke, on the other hand, showed no signs of being nervous or scared. He cracked his knuckles almost giddy in his anticipation.

"Sai, how are you doing?" Pete replied via BAU.

It made me smile a little. Looking at Pete stare across the field at, Sai you would think he was about to fight. He stared her like she was the last and only girl on the planet. Her hair blew in the wind as she nervously crackled her knuckles. She had many nervous ticks but this one was a dead giveaway. She turned to us not trying to hide her demeanor at all.

"Not good, Pete," she replied trying her best to look forward.

Pete's eyes narrowed at the sound of her words. He hated to see her the slightest bit unhappy and noticed the slightest down shot in her demeanor. I thought back and I felt a little guilty for how I felt earlier. If anyone would and could make Sai happy it would be Pete. I don't know what I was thinking. I smiled looking at the two of them. They were my best friends and I guess, we had always been a trio and the thought of being a plus one had me nervous but the way Pete cared for Sai. He deserved a shot to make her happy. I decided I would do everything in my power to make sure he got it.

"Why? What's going on?" I broke in seeing if there was anything I could do to help Pete.

"Yeah, Luke can take this guy," Eve added.

Sai nodded but it wasn't an affirming nod. It fell between a secret head shake and a shrug.

"Still, it's my brother," she replied explaining further. "Thinking about how much of a lunatic that girl is, I'm worried. What if their whole family is like that? You know, unbalanced. And even worse, Luke hasn't been a Christian that long his faith is unstable. I'm not sure he's ready for this."

Her words stuck. Through all things that had transpired I had almost forgotten that it wasn't a month earlier I was pulling him from purgatory. She was right. It was dicy. Watching all the things Luke did, it slipped my mind how young he was in the faith. It was my fault. I had put him in a terrible predicament without even knowing it. Things were going so fast that we barely had time to catch our breaths let alone focus long enough to think these things through properly. Luke was powerful, but she was right, could his faith endure these trials. He had done well so far, but this time he wouldn't have us. It would just be him. These trials have all involved the test of our faith as much as our abilities. Now my stomach was beginning to flip as my nerves kicked in. Everyone seemed to be thinking the same thing I was. You can tell she had our sympathy.

The crowd bounced in anticipation but inside our barrier we were all on pin needles. The only one left on the Alphas side was the Eli kid and he was like a monk. I had been watching him closely the entire time and outside of a couple glances at Sai he was like a statue. In fact, throughout the entirety of the trials, I don't think he moved once. He looked focus and looked like he wasn't going to be a walk in the park for anyone and if his power was anything like Jacob and I, I was worried for Sai.

"What's with that kid?" I mumble staring at him.

Sam nodded walking over to me.

"You've noticed to, huh," Sam shot.

I nodded in his direction.

"Yeah, he hasn't moved since we arrived. Not a smile, a chuckle, a smirk, nothing. If I couldn't smell his scent I would've thought he was a robot," he continued.