Sub-Chapter 16: Planking

The cold air in the courtroom like council room had me unease and if I was feeling this way I could only imagine what Eve was going through. Everyone was sitting on pins and needles as well. Pete and Sai sat on opposite sides me with Sam sitting next Sai while Jacob, Uriah, Danielle and Luke sat in the pew behind us. The place like everything in the Heaven Realm was pearly a white with statues of important figures litter around the courtroom. If I wasn’t there under such bad circumstances I would probably have taken the time to enjoy a tour of the place. The council sat discussing among themselves as the atmosphere on the court had become unstable.

“The prospect knowingly challenged using deceit and malice,” said Councilmen Uriel. “And normally that is not only grounds for a forfeit but it is usually ground for the prospect to be disqualified and taking out of consideration for admittance into the Light Guard Academy.”

“This guys is so annoying,” Pete added shaking his head frustrated.

I turned to Eve not wanting to think about what the councilmen words could mean for our legion. I strummed my fingers on the pew as we sat behind Eve. Sai leaned forward. I know a part of her wanted to jump over the barricade and give Eve a huge hug. As it was, she just sat biting the nail on here thumb with a worried look on her face.

“Hold off Councilmen Uriel,” Abdiel added.

“Yeah, let’s not make this personal attack on this council,” added Councilman Mikell.

The air around the room was thick. Eve stood gun shy watching as the councilmen argued back and forth. Maxiell stood defenseless. I couldn’t imagine what his defense for Eve could be. What could he say? Eve had stated it on live broadcast there was no going back. The rest of us were on pins and needles as the men decided whether to forfeit the match and make our already unsurmountable chances worse.

“Why?” said Kiel Landon. “The circumstances are obvious. The girl intentionally mislead the council so that she would have the opportunity to settle a vendetta. If that ain’t the letter of the law nothing is.”

“Yes, that may be true but there are circumstances surrounding the situation that must be considered,” added Councilmen Mylingiel.

He pointed in Eve’s direction like a prosecutor laying into a defendant. He wore a robe that made him look like a heavenly vampire. He wore a high eccentric collar that looked like a Vegas show guy. His hair was slick back in a horrible attempt to make himself look prestigious. He looked so cheesy. If it would have been any other time I would have normally cracked up from the sight of him but I ignored it, more focused on the conflict at hand overtaken by the tensions of the situation.

“This guy’s a clown,” added Zechariah chuckling.

“Yeah, a clown,” Jo seconded.

Landon stared back at me with a look that was usually reserved for me teachers when they chewed me out but the look was way more forceful.

“I am surprised we are not considering throwing the entire legion out,” Landon continued. “It surprises me that a council as prestigious as this one continues to allow these Earthborns to flippantly ignore our customs and rules while taking something as serious as the Light Guard Trials so lightly. It’s a little disappointing to say the least.

His words caused a stir among the legion. I sat quietly as the rest of legion whispered disparaging marks under their breath. As brazen as he was in his critique there was a sting truth to his words. I mean, we haven’t exactly been the most respectful guess in regards to following the rules and regulations. Showing up to meetings late, being unprepared, constantly breaking protocol and procedure. I mean, we are literally the only legion which has had a non-competing prospect physically intervene in every single match.