Sub-Chapter 14: Bots Like Us

Pete gave a mischievous smile. He looked like a puppet master. His plan had worked to perfection but I was still weary of it. This guy looked like cake but I could feel his power from inside Pete’s biorhythm and it was nothing to sneeze at, and to be honest, outside the Battle of New Angeles I had never seen Pete in an actual fight. I was so nervous I was unconsciously tapping my fingers on the dashboard. Uriah turned to me noticing my anxiousness. I quickly stopped non-verbally apologizing raising my hands in a relenting fashion.

“So, you accept?” Pete replied verifying.

Aeneas didn’t reply he just stared him in the eyes without a word. He hopped down off the fence.

“Could we just skip the formalities, I just want to bounce your head off my boot,” he replied.

BOOM! Pete narrowly dodged a straight ahead attack. He wasn’t overly fast or agile. Pete easily parried his blow causing him to strike a nearby barn.

BLUNT! BUM! BOOM! Pete quickly attacked as the two clashed blows.

The force of the blows were like many earthquakes and destroyed the terrain around them.

Pete leaped backwards as dropping to one knee. I could feel his exhaustion and it was baffling because the battle had lasted all of three minutes.

“Pete, what’s going on?” I replied puzzled.

“It’s this guy,” he replied panting.

BOOM! Pete dodged rolling trying to get distance but he wasn’t fast enough.

“UGH!” he groaned as Aeneas punted him in the rib.

PONG! PUM! BOOM! Pete skipped across the terrain like a rock and slammed hard into the barn crumbling it on contact.

“Stttttrrrrike!” Aeneas mocked.

Aeneas gingerly walked in Pete’s direction stalking him like prey. Pete fought to his feet struggling to stand. His vision was blurry and looking through his eyes via BAU the whole world was spinning.

“What’s going on?” I asked frantically.

“I don’t know,” Uriah replied. “Pete, why did you say ‘it’s this guy’?”

Pete sputtered then fell to his knee yet again.

“This guy, he’s like a nuke,” Pete replied. “Whenever I get near him…he drains me.”

Pete looked terrible. He could barely stand and his BAU was like a pitchy radio broadcast.

“Peek-a-boo, sonny boy, I see you,” Aeneas replied lifting a piece of carnage and tossing it like a crumbled piece of paper.

ZIRP! WHAM! Without a warning he vanished and reappeared pressing Pete against a nearby wall with earth shattering force.

“Isn’t it funny how children have these ideological Fanta-full belief in there self,” he mocked. “It’s one of the many things that separates a child from an adult? An adult doesn’t make rash decisions based on impulse. They have the experience to understand consequences because they faced pitfalls which demands the respect of caution but you children…”

BOOM! UGH! He pulled back and slammed Pete against a wall causing him to wince in pain. Pete’s eyes grew showcasing a look of pure pain. He could barely keep his eyes open as Aeneas seemed to be sucking the life out of him as he continued to batter him.

“We have to do something,” I fired turning to Uriah.

Uriah shook his head sorrowfully.

“No, we can’t, this is not our trial it’s his,” he replied in a regretful tone.