Sub-Chapter 15: To Be or To Be Beaten

“What’s up with you two?” Said a voice knocking me out of my trance.

The whole ride over on the transport I hadn’t spoken. From the time I left my room I felt like I weighed a thousand pounds. The original adrenaline of the situation must have been carrying me because the moment I awoke my body felt heavy and I was sluggish.

“What?” I replied ignoring the obvious.

“What do you mean, what?” she replied mocking me. “You guys are slugging around like zombies. What happened last night?”

I looked over at Sam who was sitting at the back of the transport. He looked worse than I did. He sweated like he had a terrible fever and looked worse than I felt.

“I don’t want to talk about it?” I replied too tired to explain.

“Well, if you’re not going to talk about it at least stop acting like you’re hung over,” She retorted. “Eve’s about to get into the biggest fight of her life and you and Sam are acting like you could care less.”

“Sai, who cares?” I replied in frustrated tone.

My words caught the attention of everyone around me aside from Eve who sat in the front with earphones on.

“What?” Sai replied squinting like she was ready to explode.

The report from the night shot through me. It gave me such a realistic view of the trials and how much of it was pomp and glamour.

“Who cares?” I repeated defiantly. “This whole stupid competition is dumb. There are people in the real world who could be going to hell. The last thing on my mind is this competition. I don’t care about it.”

They all looked at me surprised by my words.

“Did you have another vision or something?” Uriah replied.

“No, he’s just a brat,” Jacob cut in. “I swear you are more emotional than these little girls.”

“Shut up, Jacob,” I fired back.

“Does it have something to do with the argument you and Sam had?” Pete added.

“Argument?” Sai replied staring a hole through me. “Were you guys fighting?”

Sam’s attention raised at the sound of Sai’s words. He gave me a pleading look begging me not to speak.

“No,” I replied relenting. “Look, Michael showed up last night.”

Sam’s attention and demeanor changed along with everyone around me.

“What? When?” Sai added.

“Last night. He woke me up. He showed me a news segment where they were talking about the way things are back in the Earth Realm,” I explained. “He chastised me saying that we needed to stop focusing on the stupid trials and pay attention to the reason we’re really here.”

“What was the news story about?” Pete pressed.

“Just, there are a lot of lost people and they’re looking for answers,” I replied. “And we aren’t there to give it to them.”

Jacob’s demeanor changed. He almost seemed embarrassed as he slumped back down as we pulled up to the stadium.

“Wish me luck,” Eve replied throwing her bag over her shoulder oblivious.

We all nodded not wanting to alert her to the growing situation.

“Tim,” she replied bashfully. “Could you walk with me? Just until I get up to the entrance?”