Sub- Chapter 14: Not the fool I used to be

“That it has,” Pete replied tightening his watch in anticipation.

Aeneas leaped to his feet knocking the debris off his shirt. Pete watched him like a hawk.

WHOOSH! CLANG! Dover attacked but we all watched in awe as Aeneas caught him by the neck with little effort.

“Enough of you tin can,” he replied lifting him into the air.

BAM! CRASH! CRASH! He tossed him like a service volley and nailed him with spinning heel kick that sent him skidding into multiple fences.

CLANG! Pete shot a hammer shot toward Aeneas who flicked it away like an annoying fly.

“You’re going to have to do better than that,” he replied.

His arrogance had me at odds. I had no idea if he was grandstanding or if he had somehow gained an advantage.

“Oh, yeah,” Pete replied pulling out his pod container.

He tossed it on the ground as it slowly morphed into another bot.  But this one was big. He looked like a robot samarai.

“Meet Slash,” Pete gloated with a content smile. “Let see if you can handle all of us.”

Aeneas’s face seemed to showcase a worried look as he geared up.

“So, another one, he definitely doesn’t look like a speed bot,” he replied trying to hide his worry behind bravado.

“Well, you’ll just have to find out won’t you,” Pete added confidently.

His words seemed to spark something within Aeneas.

“You can pull out a million of this bots,” he replied unnerved. “I’ll crack them and sooner or later it’ll just be me and you.”

Pete chuckled out loud.

“Who do you think you’re laughing at kid?” Aeneas shot fuming.

“You…you’re statement that once my bots are gone than it’ll just be me and you,” Pete continued. “You don’t realize that the least of your worries should be these bots. As a matter of fact…”

Slowly the bots morphed and flew back to Petes hand like they were magnetically linked to his palm.

“Pete, what are you doing?” Uriah added. “Don’t let him talk you out of a clear advantage.”

Pete shook his head.

“No, just like him you think I can’t take this guy,” he replied.

“What are you talking about,” Uriah shot back. “Bots or no bots it’s still you. You built the bots.”

Pete stood looking forward in a stared down. It was another proud Pete moment. Pete was an exceptional talent but his affinity for pushing the envelope at the most inopportune time was really starting to get on my nerves.

“Pete this isn’t some stupid video game,” I fired. “This is important, you have the guy on the rope just finish it.”

“No,” he replied like a stubborn two year old.

Uriah and I leaned back in frustration. His plan was working perfectly and he was gambling it all for no reason. He was my best friend but I wanted to tear him apart. It was his pride, it’s his weakness and Aeneas unknowingly exploited.

“Pete, I’m begging you,” I pleaded. “Just forget this and stick to the plan.”

“I trusted you,” Pete replied. “Why can’t you just trust me?”