No Regrets

You almost lost balance when you gasped. Luckily, you caught yourself with your hands on the ground, supporting your body. You tried to keep an eye out on the scene. The Japanese Task Force started to panic and shake, some bringing out their guns. "No, don't pull out your guns," L ordered them. "We altered the notebook. What he's writing on is a fake one. You're not going to die."

You raised a brow. You never knew anything about altering Death Notes and replacing it with decoys. You wondered how it was possible to duplicate a notebook exactly the same and able to switch the real one without the user noticing.

All of a sudden, straight ahead from your field of vision, you and the man outside writing names down made the quickest eye contact. He froze for a second, then shouted, "Second Kira, god!!!"

The three detectives glanced at each other in shock. "The second Kira is in the building," Mello announced.

Light stared at them in absolute disbelief. He struggled not to shake and rapidly search around the surroundings, calling your name to find you. He had to hold it in, but it was too difficult. "The second Kira? How? She shouldn't be here!" he said, holding all his emotions in by tightly balling his fists.

When the mysterious man was done writing all the names down, he exhaled deeply and laughed mischievously. Near gazed at a quarter of his figure fiddle his pen as he stared at the notebook. "I suppose you are done. Why don't you step inside to witness our deaths," he suggested. The man nodded and did as told. To your great surprise, standing there was the third Kira, Oshima Toru. He grinned and watched closely at the thin red hand in his silver watch slowly rotate.

"How many seconds have passed since you wrote the first name down?" Light asked him. You could sense that we was holding in a laugh at that point.

Toru smiled madly. "34... 35... 36..."

Just then, you felt a sudden rush of thought to stop Light, whatever was going to happen next. You scooted over to a fairly tall tower of cargo boxes that was just a couple inches taller that you, and stood up, caressing your belly before looking forward.

"37... 38... 39... 40!!!!"

Light grinned in his victory. "Well, L, it looks like I've--"

From out of the very blue, you dashed to Light, flinging your arms around him. All were surprised at your sudden appearance. "(Y-Y/N)..?!" he gasped. "What are you doing here?!" The tone of his voice indicated his anger.

"Light-kun, stop this, please..." you pleaded between breaths.

He stared at you, trying to find words to say. "S-Stop what? What are you talking about??"

"H-Hey..." Matsuda said, "it's been over a minute, and... we're still alive." He slowly put his hands back to his sides from his head.

"Of course, idiot. Didn't L told you that we altered the Death Note?" Mello reminded him as he was polishing his pistol.

Light froze in utter shock. He watched Toru getting captured by the SPK members, Rester and Givanni. The third Kira screamed, trying to break the handcuffs that were on his wrists. With that, the Death Note fell on the cold cemented floor. "Why??! Why wouldn't they die?!! God, why??" 

L swiped it off the ground with his thumb and index finger, examining the page where the names were written. "You see," he began, "we were able to alter his Death Note. How? Near had to observe Toru by using Givanni. There, we had access to his day-to-day routine: he would wake up at every 9:30 in the morning, leave his residence at 11:00, and head to the famous mask shop approximately in the center of the Kantou region in Tokyo. He would stay there, sitting in a bar stool at the far end of the room, which is near the bathrooms. Every two days, he would enter the restroom after he has sat for 20 minutes. That was the time when he was conscious if anyone would be following him. Later on, we discovered that he kept his notebook inside a narrow safe, hidden behind the tissue dispenser. To unlock the safe, Givanni had to install a PIN history that will record the inputted numbers to the PIN system and connect it to his device to display the codes. That was when he had access to the notebook." L glanced at the Death Note once more. "Look here. " He presented the notebook to everyone, pointing at the list of names messily written. "As you can see, these are the names of the Mello, and his mafia. Below are the names of Near and the SPK members. Lastly, the names of the Japanese Task Force, including me. And the only two names that weren't written down... was Yagami Light and (Y/N). That proves that they are the Kiras."