Commitment

~ At the JTF Headquarters ~

L spit the over-sweetened tea out of his mouth. "You what?"

"R-R-Ryuzaki-san, if you could give us a few minutes to explain--"

"Sh." The detective wiped his lips with his sleeve, then smudged the tea stain on it. He stood up, approached the terrified Matsuda, Mogi, Aizawa and Ide, scanned their bodies, and... snatched the new box of assorted doughnuts that Aizawa held. "I'll be taking that as a consequence," he said calmly, then stuck his tongue out. The men blinked and one of them--Matsuda--whined. "O-Oi! You can't just steal away our food like that!"

"It's not 'stealing', it's 'disciplining'."

Matsuda had to be comforted by the three, and Aizawa remained mad. Souchiro facepalmed in the background. Watari took the box from L's hands and laid it on the table. L opened it and picked a strawberry-filled doughnut with rainbow sprinkles on top. He chewed on it loudly.

All of a sudden, something popped up in L's mind. He shoved the rest of the doughnut in his mouth, gulped on some more tea, and snapped his fingers. The whole room went silent as heads turned to him.

"By the way, if you have not noticed yet, there is another Kira right now. If you listen to the news carefully and keep track of the recent death records of this month, you would conclude that there was a sudden increase of deceased people-- a high one. I am 93% sure that the first Kira, Souchiro's son: Yagami Light," the father felt heavy weights on his shoulders, and his eyes began to form tears. He shrugged it off immediately. L continued, "is unable to do this all by himself. And, observing the profiles of the recent dead people, 71% of them are not criminals--most of them were, as far as I know, innocent. Since we are getting closer and closer in cornering the Kiras, I am highly suggesting that we need recruits. Luckily, there are already two who are as almost as intelligent as I, and has a chance of surpassing me."

Souchiro raised a brow and leaned forward, showing curiosity. "Who are they?"

L faced him. "They are known as N and M."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Toru locked himself up in his room. He was hugging his knees and sulking in the corner. All he could do was rock back and forth and cuss under his breath. Nora came in minutes after.

"You know, you should quit being a big crybaby. You're only wasting your energy and time, without accomplishing anything," Nora said as she folded her lean arms.

"SHUT UP!!!" The boy threw a large book at the death god, but failed. That made him sob more, close in throwing a tantrum.

Nora got the book off from the floor, dusted the small particles of dirt off the front and back cover, and rested it on the side table. "Like I said, you're only wasting your energy and time. Anger won't solve your issue right now, Toru, and it never will. All of this is because of your weakness. Nothing is going to happen to you until you fix yourself up."

Toru slowly glanced at the Death Note in his hands. He grinned devilishly and snatched a pen. This is what you get from messing with my life, Light! he yelled in his head. Upon putting the point of the pen onto the paper, he felt a sudden crack in his wrist. He yelped and dropped the writing utensil. Toru squeezed the swollen part and bit his lips hard to hold in his screams of pain.

The death god shook her head. "I told you, Toru, anger won't ever solve your stupid issues. Both of you won't be able to write each other's names down your Death Notes. Believe me, neither one of you is going to die..." She turned around and trailed off; the expression on her face turned into an evil grin. "For now..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Light-kun, wait!!" you yelled on top of your lungs. You desperately chased after him, shifting directions and bumping through a wave of people. All you could care about right now is Light, and only Light. He started to slow down a little, however, kept on running.

Eventually, you caught up with him when you went across an empty, silent street. You grabbed his sleeve, but he didn't stop. You tugged it forcefully as you tried to grab a hold of his other wrist. Thankfully, he did stop. You pushed him to the cemented brick wall. Both of you slid down to the ground; you were sitting on top of him. Light was taking deep breaths, and his bangs were covering his eyes. Your face softened. "Light-kun..." you said, eyes turning misty. "Look--" He cut you off.

"WHERE'S THE NOTE?! WHERE IS IT?!" he screamed. He snatched your purse and brought out his Death Note and a pen. Light struggled to write Toru's name down, but failed for multiple times by either making a wrong stroke, or an unreadable handwriting. The pen ran out of ink after that, so he threw it across the other end. He cussed over his breath as he balled his fists.

"Light, stop it this instant!!" you shouted at his face. Tears slipped down your red cheeks.

Light's anger faded away the second he saw you cry. "(Y-Y/N)..."

"Stop it, please...! I... I don't want to see you like this... being out of control. I don't want you to hurt yourself. I-I don't want..." You swallowed the lump in your throat. More tears dripped from your eyes. "Y-You think that you're the only one getting hurt, but I'm also getting hurt from this. That's why..." You reached for his hand and intertwined your fingers together. "Stop all of this... please."

Light pulled you into a tight hug. You didn't realized at first that he was actually crying silently until you heard his trembling voice. "Mhm," he whispered with a short nod.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?" you managed to ask.

He took a deep breath. "The world is getting more and more cruel each second. And slowly... I'm getting punished... for being a god who just wants to erase all of the useless and rude. Millions and millions of people turned their backs at us, which leaves the two of us alone. We both know that... we will always stay together no matter what could happen. And, our love will never ever be separable. So... I want to hear a true and honest answer from you."

You blushed, and then you paused for a moment. "Huh..? To what?"

He pushed back, and looked at you straight in the eyes. "(Y/N), let's get married."