Keeping Distance Won't Change Anything

Narrator's POV

Light pulled back and pushed you away; his face was tomato red, which matches yours. "S-Sorry...!" he said, while slowly backing away from you, then ran off. "L-Light-kun! Wait--"

He was already out of sight.

You sighed deeply. You slowly crept your hand up your lips, where he had touched it with his own. "W-Why did you do this, Light? W-What does this mean...?" you muttered, tears starting to form in your eyes. "Was he just playing with me? Or did he actually mean it? Light-kun...idiot..."

Meanwhile, Light had dashed across the streets to the empty park. He finally stopped by a flickering lamp post. He plopped down on a bench and slammed his head on his palm multiple times. "Stupid, stupid, stupid! Why did I kiss her?" He placed his other free hand where his heart is, which was still beating fast. "How will I be able to face (Y/N) normally now? Dammit...!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Eh? (Y/N)-chan, do you know where Light-kun went? He hasn't been back since last night. Did somethin' happen?" Ryuk said while scratching his head, expecting you to give him a couple of apples. You made no response and attempted to change the topic. "I don't know. Hey, uh, I need to go fetch some... stuff at the store. See ya--"

Unfortunately, Rem cut you off before you could escape. "Don't try to dodge this question, (Y/N). Something did happen between you two. What is it?"

You shuffled your feet on the wooden floor, face beginning to heat up. "Um... I... uh..." You tried to search for words in you head. "What is it?" Rem repeated, but in a harsher tone. "Spit it out, (Y/N)."

"L-Light-kun...h-he--"

The door swung open. To your surpise, it was Light who returned. "Hey," he casually greeted, acting as his normal self. "Oh, Light-san. Where have you been?" Rem questioned, moving towards him. "I just needed the night to cool off in my friend's house. That's all." His gaze suddenly went to you, making his face turn red, but he shook his head. "I'll be heading to my room," he announced. Light then trailed off, leaving you confused, sad, and angry at the same time. The death god sent you his last stare until he faded away.

"(Y/N)-chan, you're still buying the apples, right?" Ryuk softly asked, keeping his hopes up.

"I lied."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Five days have passed, and you still have the same situation. Light's still acting unusual, avoiding you. In those days, you felt like you didn't exist to him. The two death gods still treat you the same, though.

You decided to meet Misaki for a one-on-one talk; she's the only girl who can probably understand how you feel. She gladly accepted it, as expected from her. You didn't bother to tell anyone that you're going out, since you think that he--they don't need you.

"(Y/N)-chan!" Misaki shouted from afar as she waved her hand high in the air.

"Hey, Misaki.."

"Huh? What's the matter? You seem down."

"Um, actually..." You paused for a moment, hesitating to tell her about what happened between you and Light. She smirked and took a step closer. "It's about Light, isn't it?"

You flinched, then nodded. She patted your shoulder and gave a considerate smile. "You can tell me everything," she said. The two of you began walking at the sidewalk, while you told the whole story.

"Oh--! So that's what happened... I see," Misaki said, rubbing her chin. "Don't worry. I'm sure one day, he'll realize his true feelings." You blushed a bit and shrugged. "I don't think he ever will. I guess it's best to just move on..."

"No, that's not the best for you. You shouldn't hold back your feelings for him." She stopped walking and gazed at the blue sky. "You can't hesitate your feelings toward someone for too long. Your mind will always be restless, thinking about that person day and night. Holding back will just mess you up, you know?"

You stared at her with misty eyes. "...Yeah, I guess you're right."

Misaki and you started heading back home. Just then, something quickly popped up from your head. "Hey, Misaki-chan, do you know who Kanou-kun is?"

The question made her froze. "W-Why do you ask?"

"Well... Kanou-kun talked a lot about you in our last conversation," you lied, testing her if she'd lie and play along too.

Misaki took a couple of seconds until she could reply smoothly. "Yeah, I do.. As a matter of fact, Kanou-kun was one of my closest friends when I was young." She then continued walking.

That gave you a little doubt that she was keeping a secret from you. "Oh.."

You reached home. Misaki waved goodbye and changed direction. You watched her figure until she was out of your sight.

You opened the door, making a creeking sound. The house seemed quiet; you can only hear the breeze from the outside. "Hello?"

From a distance, you saw Rem. The death god found your eyes, so she went to you. "(Y/N)-chan, you've been out for a while," she said as she scratched his arm.

"Um... where's Light-kun? Did he went off somewhere?"

"Yes, he did. I think he said he went to the park?"

Before you could turn around and head out, Rem snatched your arm. "It would be better if you'd stay here until he gets back."

You yanked your arm, easily breaking free. "No! I have to talk to him right now!" You pivoted to the door, but said one last statement: "It would be better if you'd stay here and keep out of my personal business."

The sun is getting down, only a couple of minutes before it completely sets. You ran straight to the park. I've got to tell him now. I have to tell him... to end this space that has been pushing the two of us apart.

You reached the park. Now to figure out where he is. You wandered around the park, going in circles, dead ends, and endless pathways.

The sun is about to set in any minute!

You picked up your pace and started to sprint. Because of this, you carelessly bumped into a man. "S-Sorry!" you apologized. You looked up at him and realized that the man was Light. "L-Light-kun..!"

He shrugged, his face hinting a light shade of red. "(Y-Y/N)-chan... why are you here?"

Your face turned red, but you didn't mind it. "I-I came here to... apologize..." Apologize for what?!

"Apologize? What for?"

Your face turned even redder. "...L-Look, I'm sorry for whatever I did to make you act like this! I just don't want you to avoid me everyday like I never existed!"

He grabbed your chin. "You still don't realize it, don't you?"

"R-Realize what?"

He took a deep breath. "Realize that I'm in love with you."