𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑.60

A a r u s h

Little does I know now is, Dadi is a little angry otherwise her voice would not be raised like this. I don't think Dhriti lied because of she wanted sympathy, I saw yesterday itself how much she hates people looking at her sympathy and about gaining love from us and using it for another purpose I don't think she needs to do something like that for any purpose either. So the reason she lied to us is the same reason she said.

She hates to mention her family. That's true. I saw the pain and hate in her eyes when talking about her family. My heart swelled seeing tears in her eyes, from yesterday onwards she was crying. I can't take this.

"What did you say? You lied to us that you don't have a family?" Dadi asked her, Dhriti didn't say anything as she nodded her head in her reply.

"Then what were you going to say that you don't deserve to be granddaughter-in-law of our family? Yeah, you're right you don't deserve to become our granddaughter-in-law." Dadi said to her, her voice stern and firm as she meant every word.

"Jaya?" Dadu interrupted Dadi.

"What? I said the right thing, she doesn't deserve to become our granddaughter-in-law." Tears flowed from Dhriti's eyes, her eyes showed how guilty she was for lying to us.

That's it. I can't let her face these all. But before I could say anything Dadi said "I don't need you as my granddaughter-in-law, I need you as my granddaughter. Our family accept you as our own daughter. I don't know why your family ousted you but one thing I'm sure they're really blind people that's why they don't see how precious you are. So will you be my granddaughter?" I released a relieved sigh. A smile curved on my lips as I saw Dadi wiping the tears from Dhriti's face.

"Thank you, Dadi. Thank you so much for not misjudging me," Dhriti said to her with a smile, a tear in her eyes.

"So now what is your answer to this marriage?" Dadu asked her. My heart raced not knowing what would be her answer.

"I. . .Uh. . . I can't make impulsive decisions when it comes to matters like this. Once I did like that and it ended in a bad way. After that, I didn't think of getting married or having a life partner for me. I didn't feel like I needed a man to live. . ." She said. What does that mean she once decided this? Maybe she had a boyfriend in her life earlier and decided to marry him but what would have happened to make that end in a bad way? Of course, it would be a breakup or is it. . . something else?

"Don't get offended by me when I'm saying this I can't say anything now, I'm so sorry." She said making me come out of my thoughts. So for now she rejected this proposal.

"Riti, think about it, Child. I already told you my son will never hurt you." Mom said to her.

"Aunty, please don't force me." She said in her pleading voice.

"But Riti--"
"Karthika." Dad gestured to Mom, stopping her to say anything further.

"Look Riti, we will not force. You can take as much time as you want to think about it even if your answer is a 'No' we will accept it but that doesn't change that you will always be a daughter for us," Dad said.

Dad, how can you say those words? What if she says no, I will not accept it. Huh!

"Thank you, Uncle." She said to my Dad.

"I think I should take my leave now," She said and got up from her place.

"I'm sorry," she said once again.

"It's okay, Beta." Dadi smiled at her and she also smiled back at her. She didn't look back at me as she went out of the room. From yesterday night onwards she stopped talking and from this morning onwards she started to avoid my gaze. If by chance her eyes locked on me, she suddenly looked away as if she couldn't look into my eyes.