Chapter 160 - Solo (7)

Goosebumps appeared on the shriveled forearms of the veteran director Ahn Ga-bok. It was a rare occurrence for Ahn Ga-bok, who had directed 99 films. He smiled an aged smile.

’20 years, or perhaps even more, I can’t even remember.’

A strange mix of embarrassment and elation curled up at the corners of his mouth. He had worked with actors of many nationalities, beyond Korea to Hollywood. The number of actors who had crossed paths with Director Ahn Ga-bok must have been enormous. Yet, the number of times an actor’s performance gave him goosebumps could be counted on one hand.

But now.

‘To think that a rookie’s performance could revive a dead sensation.’

Unexpectedly, his attention was drawn by a first-year rising actor. This was a rare experience even for Ahn Ga-bok, a director legendary in the Korean film industry. Yes, that’s right. It had to be of extent that he could steal the heart of the staunch Director Kwon Ki-taek.

-Swish.

Director Ahn Ga-bok’s gaze met Kang Woojin, who was slowly taking off his bulletproof helmet inside the filming zone.

‘Rare and not common.’

In the current factory-like actor scene, it was hard to find such an actor. At least, that was what Director Ahn Ga-bok thought. Like a ginseng in a barren field of actors.

Anyway.

-Thud!

After the first OK of the intense group shot was spat out from the mouth of the affable Director Kwon Ki-taek, dozens out of the hundred or so staff members who had been holding their breath rushed into the filming zone. The quiet set became noisy in an instant.

“Art team! We need help!”

“We’re on it!!”

The scene wasn’t over just because an OK had been given. They had to change the setup and shoot again, including solo shots of the characters. Repeating the same scene multiple times was basic, and the staff who rushed in now had to reorganize the filming zone for a reshoot.

However, it didn’t take long.

“We’re ready!!”

“1 minute! Standby in 1 minute!!”

The time for the reshoot arrived quickly. The actors caught their breath and entered the camera angle again. This time, the focus was on individual scenes of the characters rather than the whole.

“Hoo-”

The start was with Kang Woojin, that is, ‘Corporal Jin Sun-cheol.’ Therefore, what Director Kwon Ki-taek saw on the monitor were the overall shots of the actors, upper body shots, and a close-up of Kang Woojin’s face. Following that, Woojin, who was slowly shouldering his rifle, thought.

‘It starts with me, so focus.’

He once again summoned the ‘Corporal Jin Sun-cheol’ engraved somewhere within him. The sensation of his two identities filling up his calm wick spread through his veins. So? Are you going to do it just like before?

‘No, since it’s a solo, make it more intense. More vivid.’

Woojin’s acting was never lacking. If anything, it was overflowing. But as a beginner at the core, he didn’t know ‘how much’ was too much. There was no upper limit. The point of reaching a limit was unclear.

‘I don’t know, I’m not sure. So, let’s just do what I can.’

There was only one option. Continue to tread unexplored territory.