Chapter 13 - Short Film (2)

The goateed Song Man-woo PD, who took a seat, started to order right away.

“If you come to a chicken feet restaurant, you should order chicken feet.”

Then he poured soju into the empty glass of the square-chinned director sitting across from him.

“It’s true that people are products of their environment. If you’re miserable, your life becomes miserable.”

The square-chinned director scratched his head in embarrassment.

“You already know, hyung. My life is miserable right now, why pretend it’s not?”

“You crazy bastard. Hey, Shin Dong-chun. Has your personality died too?”

Song Man-woo PD and director Shin Dong-chun. The two were very close friends and former colleagues from the SBC Drama Department. While Shin Dong-chun wasn’t as successful as Song Man-woo PD, he was also a respectable director with a decent filmography at the time. However, Director Shin Dong-chun always had a dream.

Making a movie.

However, despite the apparent similarities, dramas and movies are clearly different areas. It’s common for drama PDs to go to the film industry or film directors to move into dramas, but in reality, the number of failures far outweighs the successful cases.

It was by no means an easy path. It was a rough career change.

However, Director Shin Dong-chun bravely chose the path of film. Perhaps he was bold because he was in a relatively stable period in his career as a drama PD. Or maybe because he was single. Regardless, despite dissuasion from those around him, Director Shin Dong-chun embarked on screenplay writing. Of course, this was after he left SBC.

The screenplay he completed through this work was ‘Exorcism’.

Fast forward 2 years. Director Shin Dong-chun’s ‘Exorcism’ had been drifting aimlessly for about 2 years, hitting the wall of reality. In the film industry, the immediate production of a short or independent film was close to a miracle, so it became a long hiatus. Unfortunately, during this time, he faced misfortune. He was swindled by someone from a film company, and there was a situation where his parents’ guarantee went wrong.

In the end, Director Shin Dong-chun became penniless. Misfortunes piled up and struck him all at once.

In fact, he was still sane deserved praise from others. Is it finally seeing the light? Fortunately, Director Shin Dong-chun’s ‘Exorcism’ has just barely received funding.

Of course, there’s a problem because there’s a whiff of foul play associated with the funding.

Anyway, as the ordered chicken feet were being set up, Director Shin Dong-chun asked Song Man-woo PD, who was filling his glass.

“By the way, is writer Park doing well?”

“Of course, She is busy writing the script.”

“Now that you are in the middle of casting for ‘Profiler Hanryang’. How many parts of the script have been written?”

“Roughly- about 2, 3 parts.”

“You’ll be doing script readings and starting filming soon.”

“By tomorrow, there should be news articles about confirmed details.”

Around this time, Song Man-woo PD casually continued the conversation while holding a piece of chicken foot.

“Hey, how’s your ‘Exorcism’ short film coming along?”