Chapter Eighty Three

Tempest's POV

Tempest's POV

I remained sitting down at the table, waiting to see if Fantasia would make a gesture to hug me, but she simply gave me a smile that was quite weak by the way. She seems uneasy in my presence, and I have no idea why. I plan to be nothing but respectful to her and her relationship with my sister, but I will not be made to feel like an outcast when Taraji has invited me into her home to stay. I get that she feels territorial over my sister, but I'm not here to disrupt what they have going on. I don't know what it's going to take for me to convince them both that I'm genuine and harmless, but I'm going to try my damndest anyway that I can to show them. The barely-there-smile on Fantasia's faltered as she ogled my black eye.

Fantasia: Hi Tempest.

Tempest: Hi.

Fantasia: I'm glad to see that you're here safe. Taraji told me you went to jail. Are you ok?

Tempest: I am now. It was a horrible and scary situation, but everything worked out and it's all thanks to my big sister.

Fantasia: Yeah, it seems so. If you'll excuse us for a minute, I need to talk to Taraji.

Tempest: Of course.

Taraji: Talk to me about what?

Fantasia didn't respond, not around me at least. She grabbed Taraji's hand and dragged her upstairs, and I knew that they were going to talk about me. As quietly as possible, I pushed my chair back and tiptoed a few paces behind them up the stairs. While they went into Taraji's room and closed the door, I hid around the corner, listening to their conversation. If someone is talking about me, I want to know what they're saying. Even more importantly, I want to see if my big sister will defend me against whatever Fantasia has to say.

Taraji: What's the problem Tasia?

Fantasia: Don't you think you're rushing into this whole sisterhood thing with her?

Taraji: Well she is my sister.

Fantasia: Don't be sarcastic, I'm serious Raj. She may be your sister, but you don't know this girl from a can of paint and you're already inviting her to live with you. I knew that this would happen. I literally told myself that you would do some shit like this. Your generosity is one of my favorite things about you, but it's going to get you hurt if you're not careful.

Taraji: I appreciate you looking out for me baby, but you're being paranoid. The girl is broken down and beaten up. I remember being in her position once upon a time when I was with Kelvin. I had nowhere to go and nobody to turn to, but I can offer myself to Tempest so that she won't be stuck like I was. She hasn't given me any reason not to trust her.