Chapter One Hundred and Three

Emmeline felt apprehensive as she tried to get back on her horse unaided. Her whole body felt like it weighed a million tonnes, her excess of jewellery and the heavy fabric of her dress dragging her down. A pair of hands circled her waist, lifting her and onto her horse.

"Are you sure you are okay?" He asked, concerned etched deeply across his face.

Emmeline swallowed and nodded, taking a new grip on the reigns. Her knuckles were white as she tried to shake off her lightheadedness.

"Emmeline, I'm serious, I'm not risking you falling off this horse. You have to tell me if you aren't okay." His hand was firm on her thigh, blue eyes scanning her for any hint of weakness.

If it were any other day, in any other place she would have let him lift her onto his horse, content to let him take control. Looking ahead she could see the Princess eyeing her, curiosity colouring her pretty features. That brief glance was all it took to harden Emmeline's resolve. She could do this, she would.

What would people say if she wasn't even strong enough to ride through the city on her own?

Giving Cassius her best smile, she patted his hand. "I'm fine. I love you." She nodded, wanting him to agree with her. She was fine. She was.

Cassius kissed her hand, eyes wary as he mounted his own horse. "I love you too." He told her, moving his horse closer so their legs were almost touching.

The procession back to the Palace was a repeat of earlier. Soldiers played instruments as they marched, this time the royal family smiled and waved far more to the crowds. A flower landed almost squarely on Emmeline's lap and she made a show of holding it up, and then holding it to her heart as if it were a precious gift. Looking across Cassius was watching her, his face alight with pride. Pushing her headache and stomach pains aside she let that feeling of elevation keep her upright till they were inside the palace.

Cassius hadn't even fully stopped before pulling her bodily off her horse. She shrieked, thinking she was falling for a second before she realised what had unseated her. Hidden behind the horse Cassius kissed her hard, his hands seeming to hold all of her and yet not enough of her. Her hands reached for him, temporarily forgetting herself in her urgency to pull him closer.

"Gods the sight of you just now." He murmured against her lips. Emmeline laughed, placing her hand on the back of his head as he nuzzled his nose against her forehead. "Come on, we have to go change and then be back for the wake"

Their day felt like it was on fast forward, Emmeline hardly had time to catch her breath before Cassius had her hand, leading her to their carriage. Carmen was already inside, sniffling wordlessly.

No one said anything in the short two minutes it took to get them back to the townhouse. Emmeline watched Carmen, the urge to say something comfortingly bubbling on her tongue but she thought back to how she had frozen when she had placed a hand on her earlier and thought it best not to say anything. It was an emotional day for her, no need to add to her strain. Looking at Cassius, his hair slightly windswept, she tried to imagine how she'd feel if she were in Carmen's place. A flood of fear hit her chest and she quickly shook her head. No, she didn't want to think about that. She scolded herself for being so morbid, grateful when the carriage came to a halt.

...

Cassius followed her wordlessly, his index finger hooked through hers as he trailed behind her. It made her smile when he acted so adorably. To the outside world he was a war hero who sat with perfect posture during his father's funeral. He was a grand duke who emanated strength. Behind closed doors however, he held onto her finger following her like a puppy dog. It thrilled her to know she was the only one who would ever see this powerful man behave this way.

Clementine didn't say anything when Cassius insisted that Emmeline remain beside him on the sofa but Emmeline just tutted and removed herself from his arms. At the dressing table, her hair was neatened up, with strands blown loose by the wind being re-pinned. Her makeup was also touched up. Later, they had to return again for an outfit change but for now, this was sufficient.

"How long do we have?" She asked as she returned to Cassius's waiting arms. He pulled her gently against his chest, careful not to smudge her face or ruin her hair. Pressing soft kisses to the crown of her head he murmured. "Thirty minutes."

Was that all? She thought. "Clem, bring me something to eat please? I want something safe in my stomach before we return."

Emmeline took the bowl of apples and took a large bite out of one. Cassius looked pleased to see her eat, but concern was etched around his eyes. 

................................................................................

Author's Note:

I'm so proud of her.

S x