Chapter Ninety-Six

Emmeline almost smiled when they pulled up to the inn where they had stayed for many months ago. It looked nicer in the Spring evening sun, the fascia more welcoming somehow. "This time, you are eating dinner with me." She said with a grin.

"Deal." He beamed, touching his forehead to hers.

They hadn't moved for hours, she was wrapped up in his arms, sitting on his lap. Every so often he pressed his lips to her, looking so happy every time. It was like they had passed a new threshold somehow, moving from two attracted parties to one whole. It felt so right to finally just be held by him without the distractions of work, preparations, or his mother. The excited anticipation that surrounded their every interaction since his return had relaxed into something more tender and content. "I'm not ready to let you go just yet." He hummed against her ear.

Emmeline giggled. "Cass you've been holding me like this for hours."

He shook his head. "No, it doesn't feel like that long." He moved to brush his nose along her cheek. The way his breath fanned across her face made her take in an excited breath. "You like that hmm?" He hummed, making her positively purr in response. It was the waiting, the fact that with each pass of his nose he might kiss her, his lip just brushing the corner of her mouth, that made her shiver.

It was devilish.

"We should go inside. People have noticed the carriage." She told him, slightly breathless.

Cassius smirked. "I told you. I'm not ready to let you go yet." His tone was a growl, making her insides flutter. He clenched her a little closer for a few seconds.

"Then don't?" She offered, not really thinking as he slowly kissed the base of her throat.

"Don't tempt me, Emmie." He muttered before sighing and flinging open the carriage door.

The inn was busy, several carriages were outside, the bar inside equally bustling. An attendant showed them upstairs at once, gushing to compliment the duke and duchess on being such a handsome couple. Emmeline went to correct him, as she wasn't officially the duchess yet, but Cassius shushed her. He handed the man several gold coins, making his eyes grow wide for a moment before he began stuttering about their generosity.

In contrast to their last visit, their rooms were next door to one another, rather than being at separate ends of the building. Cassius followed her inside, Clementine already inside laying out Emmeline's things. "I'll let you freshen up. Meet me in an hour for dinner?" He asked, kissing her cheek for a long moment before leaving the room.

Clementine was unfolding a nightgown, but her eyebrows were raised as she looked at the fabric. Mischief played around the girl's face but she said nothing.

Emmeline blushed, throwing herself down onto the bed. "Out with it." She beamed, covering her eyes with her hand but unable to stop smiling.

Clementine made an excited sound. "This time around his grace is inviting you for dinner." She sounded positively tickled pink as the prospective. "I mean he should've done that the first time but-" She stopped mid sentence, covering her mouth at once with eyes like saucers. "Forgive me, my lady. I was just thinking out loud. I'm sorry."

Emmeline knew she should tell Clem off for being impertinent, but how could she? Clementine had been far more devoted than a simple maid needed to be, she had risked losing fingers for stealing food, even now she was making careful notes on what foods made her unwell. No, she would scold Clementine after she had been so very good to her.

"It's fine Clem, it's just us." She grinned, patting the bed beside her.

Bereft of daily contact with her friends, Clementine had been a true friend to her since her arrival, and she was eager to share with her. "It's like a fairytale with you and his grace!" She sighed happily.