Chapter Thirty

Emmeline didn't rise early. Clementine had looked half crazed with worry when she had finally returned last night, the maid looking like she wanted to launch into a speech about staying out late, but one look at Emmeline's face had shut her up.

Laying in bed so long was indulgent, she knew. What was there to get up for though? She would eat breakfast alone, would spend the morning alone, and would eat lunch alone. No one would care where she was until the evening meal which Clementine had told her she was instructed to attend. Emmeline had been even more incensed when she had learned about Cassius storming into her chambers the night before and yelling at Clementine. What could she do though?

Her mind drifted to thoughts of Hazel, her maid growing up. She would've stood her ground, would've told Cassius to get out regardless of his title. It gave her a satisfied sensation to imagine the scenario, knowing that Hazel wouldn't stand for such disrespect of her mistress. Not that she blamed Clementine, not at all. By the sounds of it, Cassius had taken her completely by surprise.

Sinking into her blankets Emmeline closed her eyes, hearing Clementine moving around her rooms on the other side of the hangings of her four posters. She knew she had to get up really, but the motivation just wasn't there. Sighing regretfully she pushed back the hangings and threw herself out into the cold air.

"Can you pour me a bath please Clem?" She asked gently, hating the way her maid jumped with fright at the sudden noise.

Clementine said nothing but nodded and got to work. Falling into her sofa cushions she watched Clementine in the other room, catching glances of her as she passed by the open doorway. Her brow was furrowed, her usual chatter noticeably by its absence.

Emmeline chewed on the inside of her cheek for a few moments before guilt had her on her feet. Rushing to the bathroom she spoke softly. "Clementine."

Clem paused, but only slightly before carrying on, throwing a handful of salts and herbs into the bathtub. "Clem, I'm sorry for yesterday."

Holding her bottom lip between her teeth she waited for her maid to acknowledge the apology. After a long silence that was probably only a few seconds, although it felt far longer, Clementine straightened up.

You don't have to apologise my lady." She said with a resigned little sigh.

Emmeline crossed the room in a few bounds, snatching up Clementine's hands before she could put them to work again. "I am sorry though. I was rude to you last night when I got back. And - and his Grace shouted at you due to my foolishness. I should be more mindful of the consequences of my actions." She squeezed Clem's calloused hands gently before letting her go.

Her young maid made a face, like she wanted to smile but couldn't, her one cheek twitching. "The young master was frightening." She admitted quietly.

Emmeline let out a relieved breath to hear her finally talk. "He can be... intense." She agreed tactfully. "Let us go for a walk together this morning. I insist." She added when Clementine went to protest.

After a bath that felt positively heavenly, Emmeline allowed Clementine to dress her in one of her more ostentatious outfits. The pair headed outside. Emmeline didn't comment on the choice of dress, knowing it was Clementine's response to Ottilie's arrival.

Moving through the manor it was clear that Clementine was nervous. Twice she had smoothed down her skirts self-consciously as she walked.

Every so often she allowed herself to fall a step behind Emmeline, as was proper for a mistress and a maid. When this happened for the second time, however, Emmeline reached out and linked arms with Clementine so that she couldnt be anywhere but at her side.