Chapter Fifty-One

The carriage ride to the Mont's lands was two and a half hours long. 150 minutes, 900 seconds of sitting face to face with the Grand Duke and Duchess. If Emmeline thought evening meals were tense affairs, this was another level.

Carmen and Victor looked utterly splendid; there was no denying that they made for a handsome couple. Emmeline had seen the upper nobility wear some truly fine outfits whilst in the Capital, but the clothing before her were the finest she had ever seen. Carmen was practically dripping with jewels, the fabric of her gown studded with rubies that caught the light with even the smallest motion. Their shine complimented the vast line of medals pinned to her husband's chest.

The effect was somewhat ruined by Carmen's tense demeanour. Her dainty hands were balled into fists at her sides as she glared at Emmeline.

Her dress, which had seemed so very expensive early, paled in comparison to the intricate embroidery of the duchess's gown. She sighed a little, dropping her head when Cassius' hand pressed against her thigh.

They were sitting so close that the gesture was invisible, but she felt the pressure of the back of his hand against her's and knew he was trying to give her comfort in a way his parents couldn't see. It was strangely intimate, and she resisted her initial reaction to whip her hand away. Emmeline lifted her chin, sitting a little straighter, like his hand had given her the strength not to fold under his parent's gaze.

Casually sliding her other hand over the twin gold stars that were most visible on her lap, she prayed that neither Carmen or Victor, or even Cassius for that matter, would spot any of the other tiny gold stars that were dotted sparingly across the gown. Carmen was tightly wound already and seeing proof of the pairing she so desperately wished didn't exist might just tip her over the edge.

"Tonight you will not dance or draw attention to yourself in any way." Carmen warned, her ring studded finger pointing menacingly at her. Victor tutted, patting his wife's knee.

"Now, now. I am sure Emmeline knows how to behave." He muttered, cooling his wife's fervour down a few levels. "It is a crime not to dance at a ball. Besides, I am sure she and Cassius will be able to stay out of the limelight."

Carmen nodded, her expression instantly calmed a little. Emmeline nodded, grateful for his interjection. Cassius at her side was busy looking out of the window, behaving as if he hadn't heard anyone speaking. It reminded her strongly of how he had acted when they had first met, all he needed to do was fall asleep and he would have re-enacted the entire journey.

They travelled the remainder of the way in silence, Carmen and Victor being the only ones to exchange murmured words to one another. Emmeline could hear what they were saying perfectly clearly, but their lowered voices clearly meant they wanted her to at least pretend she couldn't hear.

Carmen was busy listing off the potential brides for Cassius whilst Victor gave his opinions of who to focus on first. Emmeline stared resolutely out of the window, her posture oddly rigid as she did her best to appear unconcerned.

Against her leg, Cassius had begun rubbing a miniscule comforting circle. It said everything he couldn't voice aloud. She wished more than anything to simply grab his hand and hold it tightly, but to do so would be foolish when Carmen and Victor were right in front of them.

It was a very long 150 minutes.

...

The approach to Baron Mont's home was almost as grand as that at Marcellus' Manor. Emmeline had yet to visit her friend in her new home and she watched eagerly as the vast building rose up from the horizon. In the early evening din the garden lamps were being lit as they passed them, an army of servants blinking each torch into life.