Chapter One Hundred and Two

They rode together in the carriage to the Palace. The Main Promenade was already lined with crowds of people and the roar of the people when their carriage appeared made Emmeline start. Carmen gave her a look but said nothing; hidden by her veil it was hard to tell if she was glaring at her or not. Emmeline thought it fair to assume that she was.

The Palace was buzzing with activity, people were everywhere finalising preparations. Carmen was to ride in the royal carriage with the prince and princess. Open topped and bedecked in flowers, she was given pride of place as the widow of the honoured fallen. Cassius and Emmeline were to ride just behind them. The King would ride in front, leading the procession personally.

Cassius helped both women from the carriage. Emmeline often wondered why he insisted on doing himself when it was the job of a footman, but she wasn't complaining. It felt nice to have him ensure she was safely on the ground each time. Kissing each cheek and holding her briefly in a tight hug, Cassius said goodbye to his mother. Carmen was crying again, taking the King's hand as he led her towards the gold open-topped carriage.

"With me." Cassius murmured, taking her hand and steering her towards the two white horses waiting for them. Her nerves hammered in her chest at the prospect, she hadn't had the luxury of years of riding lessons, her experience limited to her months of garden jaunts with Artemis and Orion. She wished she had Artemis here instead of this unknown horse.

"If I see you struggle, I will pull you onto my horse with me." He threatened, a hint of amusement shining through his sombre demeanour.

Emmeline shook her head vehemently; she would not appear weak and unable to even ride her own horse. No, she would stay upright if it killed her. Fortunately, it was no longer traditional for women to only ride sidesaddle, so she wouldn't have that to contend with.

Her horse stamped a little unsteady when she was finally astride. Cassius held the reins till the horse had settled, running a hand over its fur to calm it. "She'll sense if you are nervous. Just relax. Palace horses are not going to throw you off Emmie." He was smiling for her benefit, the least she could do was try to calm herself. He pressed his lips to the back of her hand before mounting his own steed beside her. His horse was larger, a stallion, it suited him.

Closing her eyes for a few seconds she ran her hand over her horse's side. "We can do this." She told both the horse and herself. "What's her name?" She called more loudly to the groom nearest. He stood abruptly upright, like he had been shocked. "Frida, your grace."

"Frida." She cooed, feeling the horse react. "Be patient with me today please." She whispered. At her side Cassius chuckled.

"You will be wonderful." He promised. Meeting his strong blue eyes she nodded. She would, for him.

...

She made it her whole focus to do as Cassius did, when he moved forward she moved. When he waved, she would wave, if he smiled then you guessed it she would too. That's what she told herself over and over as they moved in position in the procession.

Victor's highly decorative coffin was just ahead of the royal carriage, the illuminations glinting gold in the sunlight. Only his heart was inside, but it didn't matter, this was more about celebrating his life than it was laying him to rest. They had done that already in the family crypt. Today was about honouring the country's grand duke, the king's brother, the man who had died leading the charge that had won Justinia the war. Thinking of Victor's bravery, she felt her back straighten. Guilt twanged at her when she realised that she had been fixated on her own nerves rather than the meaning of the day. Not only would she make Cassius proud today, she would honour Victor. He deserved her best efforts.