Chapter Thirteen

The carriage came to a gentle halt outside two very tall and very sturdy looking oak doors. Black metal work had been hammered into the wood, strengthening and decorating, as seemed to be the style of the Marcellus family.

Cassius did not wait for her to exit, leaving ahead of her and standing as the doors opened for him. Emmeline felt a fresh stab of disappointment. Did he not wish to even introduce her to his parents? Or was he hoping that she would just introduce herself? It was poor form, and made her feel a fresh wave of annoyance at her partner.

Opening the door she held out her hand expectantly for the footman to take, the man rushing to guide her down the unsteady carriage steps. "Clementine." She called aloud, not knowing where her maid from last night was, but knowing she would be near enough to hear.

The girl tumbled out the back of a wagon that was still in motion, turning down the side of the house where the servants' entrance was no doubt hidden. Clementine held her skirts as she half walked, half ran as respectably as possible to her new mistress's side. "Yes- my lady." She gasped.

Emmeline smiled, gratefully. "Please stay by my side." She requested. In truth, she wasn't sure if she had the authority to even make this demand, but it didn't seem beyond the realms of reasonable given that she was to become the wife to the Marcellus heir. Even if he did seem utterly disinterested in her.

Taking a short steeling breath she headed up the steps and inside, not knowing what kind of reception was waiting for her. Pulling on all her years of tutoring, she held herself with as all the poise she could muster as she entered the grand entrance hall of the manor, where Cassius stood between a man and woman who could only be his parents.

Cassius's father, Lord Victor Marcellus was so similar to his son there was no mistaking Cassius' parentage. His mother, who's name Emmeline did not know, was pale haired, but rather than blue eyes like her sons, her eyes were a curious brownish green that didn't seem to match with her hair.

"A pleasure to meet you both." Emmeline announced when no one immediately welcomed her. Dropping into a low bow she did her best to give them a charming smile as they reluctantly returned her greeting.

"Mother, father, this is Miss Emmeline Elva."

"Daughter of Killian." Victor spoke, his voice deep and gravely.

Emmeline nodded, bowing her head a little for good measure. It went against her nature to be so polite, so simpering, but it seemed like she would need all her skills if she had any hope of winning over the Lord and Lady of the manor.

"Killian Elva." The woman mused aloud, her eyes flicking up and down her attire, studying her just as her son had done in the carriage. "This is unfortunate. If she were a commoner, we could have swept her aside more easily."

Victor made a tutting noise towards his wife who gave her husband an apologetic look but said nothing more.

Cassius sighed deeply, pushing his hair from his face, and turning to leave the awkward stand-off that had developed. "I am tired from the road." He commented, already walking away.

Emmeline's heart was pounding in her chest, rooting her to the spot. If her new in-laws were any closer, they would've seen the way her locket was jumping against her chest as her pulse raced. Reaching up to hold onto the locket for comfort, she desperately tried not to show how much Lady Marcellus' words had impacted her.

Swept aside?

So that was why he had been so cold to her! He had no interest in getting to know her, because he was intending to reject their pairing. For a man, this was possible although frowned upon, but for a woman it was a disaster. Who would wish to marry a woman that not even her ordained pair wished to be with? It was a black mark to a reputation that no one recovered from.

Emmeline shook herself from the alarming spiral her thoughts had turned down. Pulling a smile mechanically back into place she asked lightly where she should have Clementine take her things. Lady Marcellus made a half-hearted gesture of offering her a guest suite which Emmeline made sure to seem overly grateful for.

Following where Clementine led, she could feel herself turning more numb with each step she took, longing to hide within her chambers and let her emotions run free.

.

Perhaps she should just return home?

Moving to look out the window she considered this seriously. How bad would it be if she did go back?

Her father's reaction would be predictable. He had been prepared to disown her if she was paired with a commoner, had practically done so already by refusing to attend the pairing ceremony. Hell, he couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye to her.

Yet, she knew that in the same breath, her father would try and manipulate her pairing to gain an alliance with the Marcellus duchy. It was a match far superior to anything he could've arranged, their house not having the political capital needed to secure an alliance with such an old and illustrious house. If she returned, having abandoned the pairing, he would be furious. She felt herself wince, rubbing her own arms reassuringly. Her father was as well-tempered as he was loving when it came to her, which was to say, not very.

No, it wasn't worth thinking about what would happen to her if she returned to her father. Perhaps Atticus would take her? His wife Olive was always kind to her, but would she still be so amenable after she had been rejected? House Marcellus was powerful and after being rejected by Cassius no one would want to house her lest they gain the displeasure of the Marcellus duchy.

Sighing deeply she ran a hand down the curtains that lined the wide window. They were far more luxurious than anything she had had at home, the fabric was thick and soft, covered in fine embroidery that would've taken weeks of work. Her gowns weren't made of fabric half as fine as this, yet here they used it just to cover windows. The realities of the wealth of her pair's family hitting her anew.

If she was being honest with herself, there was nowhere really to go. So, she would have to make this pairing work. It had to work, because for her there was no other option. 

====================================================

Author's Note:

Our poor baby girl. It's all gone wrong.

Vote for my book people. 

Ty. 

Sophie.