Chapter Eighty-Three

"Friends." He addressed the crowd. "It was our house, our duchy, the bravery of our men that secured the victory for the King." The roar of agreement was deafening. "Let us drink and dance and show the gods our gratitude."

The music, the food, the atmosphere, Emmeline loved all of it. After months of the manor feeling so lifeless, so numb with waiting, it was wonderful to feel the place come fully to life. Cassius told jokes and amusing stories from when he was away. Emmeline and Carmen both talked, their shared meal the friendliest she had experienced with the Marcellus'.

Carmen's lady's-maid Ms Frances poured Emmeline a goblet of sweet smelling drink. "I would pour you one son, but I fear this is more suited to a woman's palette." She smiled.

Cassius just nodded, looking pleased. Emmeline too was pleasantly surprised. Was Carmen being nice because of her chat with Cassius earlier? Or was she just pretending to be kind as she had when Madeleine and Arabella visited; she had acted perfectly lovely when others were present. Whatever the reason, Emmeline decided to enjoy Carmen's warmth while it lasted.

"Thank you, your grace." She smiled widely, taking a sip of the drink. It was spiced and sweet. Plums or maybe damsons, she wasn't really sure had created this wine. It was delicious but there was a bitter aftertaste she didn't enjoy. When her cup was empty, Ms Frances refilled it at once. Emmeline hadn't wanted another glass due to the bitterness she was tasting at the back of her throat, but she didn't want to seem rude so just thanked Carmen.

Perhaps it was the excess of food, or the excitement of Cassius' return, or the hundreds of eyes on her, but her stomach began to feel unsteady. Pushing her plate away she refused the refill Carmen offered her, opting instead for a glass of cold water. The bitterness of her tongue disappeared and she found herself feeling a little better although her insides were still uncomfortable. Perhaps it was the wine that didn't agree with her?

Seeing she had finished Cassius stood, holding his goblet aloft. All around the room people stopped talking to raise their goblets.

"To our victory. To my father." Cassius shouted.

"To the Duke." The crowd toasted.

"Let us have music!" He demanded, reaching for Emmeline's hand to pull her from her seat. She stared at him a little wide eyed but obeyed as he led her to the middle of the room. A fiddle began along with drums; it was a far less refined affair than the society balls she was used to, but part of her felt a swell of excitement as Cassius bowed.

"Dance with me, my love." He asked, kissing her hand. The villagers cheered and she nodded, gasping as he swooped her up into his arms. He kissed her fleetingly before starting to dance.

Cassius was an excellent dancer, but Emmeline was better. She met his steps without difficulty, laughing when he twirled her. It was informal but it was joyful and in no time at all they were joined by staff from the manor, people from the village, and soldiers. The tables were pushed to the sides by many hands to make more room, the pounding of feet and the swell of voices making the manor feel more alive than she had ever imagined possible.

After their third dance Cassius leaned in close. "Are you happy?" He asked, his stubble tickling her ear.

She nodded earnestly. "I really am."

He kissed her hard, in front of everyone, the crowd swallowing them as many people danced all around them. "Then I'm keeping promise already." 

...........................................................................

Author's Note:

Vote, comment, enjoy!

S x