Chapter Ninety-Three

Emmeline watched her trunks being loaded onto the carriages and wagons with a wry sense of amusement. She had arrived at Marcellus Manor with nothing more than a single suitcase, now she had case after case of extravagant things. It was incredible how much things had changed.

A hand came to rest on her shoulder, the large frame behind her could only belong to one person. She smiled as she leant backwards into him. "Good morning my lovely one." He cooed against her ear, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"Good morning." She replied, warmly. Their breakfast had been eaten early, Emmeline only nibbling at some nuts before Cassius had to head out and see to last minute arrangements. Using her coffee cup as a hand warmer she had drifted outside, the fresh air settling her stomach as she watched the carriages and wagons being packed.

"We are leaving in an hour." He announced, moving his hand to rest over her stomach. "How are you feeling?" The tenderness in his voice made her inside ache with happiness. Tilting her head skywards to look at him she smiled.

"I feel fine. This coffee is bitter though." She held up the cup she had been using for warmth. Cassius took it, tasted it, and proceeded to spit it out. "God that's awful." He complained, throwing the contents of the cup onto the gravel driveway.

Carmen had emerged from the manor and was staring at them, looking murderous. "Cassius!" She shrieked, making Emmeline jump.

Against her back, she felt him sigh. "Yes mother?"

Carmen was almost running to them. Even for her, this was a new level of erratic. "Did you drink that?" She asked, snatching the cup away and staggering backwards out of his reach.

Cassius frowned. "I just tasted it, Emmeline was complaining it was bitter." He began, his voice confused.

Carmen looked horrified. "How many times must I tell you not to drink coffee!?" She practically screamed. Emmeline's eyes were wide in shock, glancing up at Cassius, she saw he looked the same.

"Mother-"
Carmen threw the cup on the floor smashing it, tears were in her eyes. Cassius seemed to shake off his shock, straightening his back and hardening his expression as he took four deliberate steps towards his mother. Emmeline cast her eyes around, there were many people watching the exchange, everyone looking equally alarmed by the dowager duchess' behaviour.

"Mother, get a hold of yourself. You will not embarrass this house when we reach the Capital." His voice was brusque, so different to the tone he used with her. Emmeline moved to stand a little closer to him, wanting to lend him support but unsure how to do so.

Carmen's eyes zeroed in on the movement, her face disgusted. "The only embarrassment will be having her at our side." She spat at Emmeline. Cassius reached for her at once, pulling Emmeline into his arms. His anger, white hot at being screamed at in front of half the staff, was making his heart hammer in his chest. Holding onto Emmeline was the only thing stopping him from losing his temper altogether.

"Mother enough. If you continue like this I will ask that you be removed from Father's funeral proceedings." He ran a comforting hand up and down Emmeline's arm as the two of them faced his mother.

Carmen looked taken aback. "You wouldn't."

Cassius gave her a furious look. "If you continue to behave like this. I will have no choice."

Emmeline felt like she couldn't breathe in the seconds of silence that stretched, mother and son both unwilling to be the first to back down. After a long, hard, minute, Carmen gave Emmeline a venous look before storming away. Reaching up Emmeline placed a hand gently on his cheek, searching his eyes to see if he was okay. Like soft rain on a fire he felt his temper cool at her touch. Pulling her suddenly tight against him he buried his head into her hair, nose against her throat.

"Why does she hate me so much?" Emmeline moaned, her voice hollow. Cassius, as if he could make up for his mother's cruelty with his affection, practically smothered her in his eagerness to hold her.

Cassius had given her a tidal wave of excuses and reassurances that his mother would come around, that he didn't agree with her, that she needed to realise she wasn't in control. While it made her feel a little better, it didn't completely fix the gnawing feeling inside Emmeline's chest.

It was with immense relief that Emmeline let Cassius help her into their carriage an hour later. The Duke's carriage was, of course, highly decorative on the outside, but more importantly it was comfortable inside. The seats were well padded, the interior spacious and plush. Carmen had complained about taking the second-best carriage but Emmeline had deliberately not even looked in her direction during that exchange. Cassius had bellowed at her loud enough to wake the crows, threatening to leave her here if she kicked up a fuss one more time. The entire thing was making her increasingly anxious, which in turn made her stomach ache. She watched as Marcellus Manor disappeared slowly in the distance, a mixture of glad to be away from the place, and curiously sad at leaving the place she had called home for so many months.

Reaching out her hand to the man sat opposite her, she smiled as Cassius kissed the top of her hand before holding it.

....................................................

Author's Note:

Carmen's just a bit much.

S x