Chapter Forty-Two

Cassius had been summoned to his father's study and it was trepidation that he obeyed. What had happened for his father to call upon him in the middle of the day like this? It wasn't usual. Pushing into his father's study the familiar smells of cigar smoke, paper, and leather rushed over him.

"Father what is-" He began, stopping abruptly when he saw the back of a blonde head. Looking from Emmeline to his father and back, he frowned, his eyebrows asking what was happening.

Victor made an amused face at his son's obvious confusion. "Sit both of you." He gestured to the space beside Emmeline.

Wary, Cassius slowly obeyed. His mother wasn't here, and while that normally might not be a cause for alarm, if they were discussing his pairing, his mother's absence was concerning. "Father, what's going on?"

Victor made a hurrying gesture, flicking his fingers at the place he expected his son to sit. "I have had a thought, an idea that can solve this situation."

Cassius was closer to Emmeline than he had ever been, her skirts were pushed against his leg on the couch. Resting his hand at his side, the back of his hand almost touched her own hand, almost. At the word 'situation' she went rigid.

"Emmeline, you know that we wish for a more powerful political match for our son than your family can provide."

It wasn't the first time it had been said, but it was the first time it had been so brazenly addressed. There was no sugar coating or polite words surrounding the statement. Part of Emmeline admired the honesty, the directness of it, but that did little to temper the hurt the statement caused. She wasn't an idiot. Ever since Ottilie had arrived she knew that it would only be a matter of time before the Marcellus' forced her out of their home.

Victor, who had been watching her closely, pressed on. "I know you are unhappy here. I am also, however, sensitive to the implication that this failed pairing may have for you."

Failed pairing. The words were more painful than she had expected. Okay, she knew that she and Cassius weren't exactly compatible, but it was one thing to think it, another to hear someone else say it.

"Father." Cassius interjected, his jaw tensed as he scowled at the Grand Duke.

Victor silenced his son with a wave of his hand. "I am aware that socially, some women find a failed pairing to be detrimental to their prospects, so I have a proposed solution." He picked up a sheet of paper and began to read. "I propose that in exchange for you leaving and rejecting the pairing, that the Marcellus duchy will compensate you for your time."

Emmeline felt Cassius go stiff on the cushion beside her, his hand curled into a fist.

Clearing her throat a little she straightened herself up. "I see. Well, what kind of compensation could I expect from such an agreement?"

Victor beamed at her. "I would be willing to offer you 10,000 gold." It was a sizable sum, but not enough to support herself for more than a couple years at the most. If she was to buy her own home, it wouldn't last her more than a year. Biting gently on the inside of one cheek she considered the offer before she spoke. Did she dare? She knew what she wanted to say, but had to take a steeling breath before she could manage it.

"I would accept 25,000." She countered with more confidence in her voice than she felt.

Beside her Cassius turned fully to face her, looking appalled.

Victor paused for a moment before he burst out laughing. Emmeline felt the corner of her mouth twitch, there was something infectious about Victor's laugh, and if she wasn't mistaken, she had impressed him a little.

"I would expect nothing less from Killian's daughter!" He hooted, slamming his hand onto his desk. "How about 15?" His face was alight with humour and she found herself returning his smile. In a different life, she would have quite enjoyed having Victor as a father-in-law.

"20." She retorted.

Cassius threw up his hands in a gesture very much like his mother. "Father this is madness."

Both Victor and Emmeline turned to face him.

"I disagree. Miss Elva will be negatively impacted when you reject the pairing. She deserved to be compensated."

Emmeline watched him for a few more seconds, her blue eyes so pale as she studied him that her gaze felt positively icy. Cassius met her gaze squarely, trying to convey his horror at such a proposal, but before he could say anything she nodded agreeing with Victor.

"I think 20,000 is fair. I shall have Mr Olivers draw something up for you." Victor announced, his voice satisfied as if he had solved a complex puzzle.

"Thank you, your grace. May I be excused?" She asked, bowing respectfully.

Victor nodded, sending her off with wishes for her to have a nice day and promises to see her at dinner.

Cassius remained motionless until the door clicked closed.

"You should've spoken to me first." He hissed, his entire body vibrating with anger.

"What for? We are agreed that Miss Elva must leave the estate. I think this was to be kinder than your mother's plan of forcing the girl to leave out of loneliness and despair. Quicker too I'd wager. She is like her father, stubborn and clever."

Victor smiled at his son, apparently oblivious to the waves of disapproval coming off him.

"Off you go." He shooed after a couple minutes of stormy silence.

Outraged, Cassius couldn't even phrase a retort as he stormed from the room. He felt like a child, powerless and voiceless. Barrelling out into the gardens he placed a well aimed kick at the nearest tree, swearing loudly as the bones in his foot crunched. 

................................................................................................................................................................

Author's Note:

I know this is a shorter chapter but trust me the next one is a good one.

Sophie x