Chapter Ninety

Preparations for the Capital were, in a word, exhausting. Clementine was rushed off her feet arranging seamstresses, fabric sellers, shoe makers, on and on and on. Cassius had insisted that she buy whatever she needed, adding it to the Marcellus' accounts rather than paying for it herself. Which was luck because her own personal treasury was dwindling. The Marcellus' were also to host a victory dinner at their townhouse, and as Carmen was in no fit state to organise it, the job had fallen to Emmeline.

The funeral ceremony too had an endless number of arrangements and while Cassius was dealing with the majority, some things still fell to the Duke's consort aka her. Clementine was working hard and although she felt guilty about it, Emmeline found herself tuning out the updates Clementine gave her on both her rapidly expanding wardrobe and responsibilities. After yet another early morning fitting, she fled her chambers in search of Cassius , hoping that she could hide away from responsibility with him for a few minutes at least while they ate breakfast.

A servant told her the duke was waiting for her in their dining room when she asked, and Emmeline made a beeline for it. When she opened the doors she smiled at the sight of the back of his head. His dark hair had been combed neatly back, and while it looked nice, she missed the more messy look it sometimes got after walking in the gardens. Passing him she pressed a kiss to his cheek on her way to her seat.

"Good morning my lovely one." He smiled, the newspaper held in his hands a good indicator that Cassius was feeling less stressed now that the stewards were alleviating some of his workload. He hadn't read the paper in ages.

"Good morning Cass." She beamed, loving the way his nickname made his eyes flare. He hadn't told her he liked it when she called him that, but his expression confirmed it. She supposed it might feel the same way for him, as it did for her when he called her Emmie.

"Emmie." He warned, his voice a low purr.

She made a satisfied face and accepted the coffee poured for her. "I am tired today." She announced, taking a deep swig. Cassius dropped the paper, giving her his full attention. It was in small gestures like this that she knew he cared for her. No one had ever thought her words important enough to give her such undivided attention before. Save for her friends maybe. Her father and most of her brothers had certainly never given her such respect.

"Why are you tired?" He asked, looking devilishly handsome as he reached for his cup. Shaking off the distraction of how good looking her pair was, Emmeline focused. "Clem is burying me underneath preparations for the Capital."

He smirked. "What preparations?"

Emmeline frowned lightly, waving her hand vaguely in a circle as she listed the things she apparently absolutely had to have and do so as to not embarrass herself or the duke. "You must understand, your outfit is of the utmost importance, your grace! The nation will be watching!" The dressmaker's words from a few days ago still irritated Emmeline, and she made that clear in her tone as she repeated them to Cassius. He chuckled. "You could never embarrass me."

She smiled. "Apparently what I will be wearing is akin to a life or death decision. I still don't understand why I need quite so many new dresses. It seems superfluous." Emmeline muttered to the contents of her cup. The coffee was a little bitter today but she drank it anyway, perhaps she should start having extra sugar in her hot drinks from now on.

With arms far longer than her's, Cassius took her hand across the table. "Can I help at all?"

She waited for him to laugh, but he wasn't joking. "No, you are busy enough without having to worry about something as silly as dresses and organising dinner parties." She assured him. His large hand squeezed hers till their food arrived, the plates forcing him to let go.