Chapter Eighty-One

Clementine had whooped, hollered, and danced when Emmeline finally returned to her chambers to get ready for that night's feast. She had covered her face, embarrassed when Clementine had begun peppering her with questions. "He said he was going to make me the happiest duchess this kingdom had ever seen." She finally admitted whilst Clementine brushed out her hair. It had grown long and needed far more maintenance than Emmeline could realistically manage alone.

Clementine stamped her feet up and down for a couple seconds. "I knew it! I knew his grace would be this way when he returned. After months of letters, months of you waiting for him, suffering for him."

Emmeline stopped her abruptly. "Clem- he can never know about what his mother did."

Clementine stopped mid-monologue about how she had known how his grace felt for months, something about it being in the eyes.

"But- but you were starved for him. The dowager duchess can't do anything to you now." She muttered, frowning deeply

Emmeline took a deep breath, on the one hand, she doubted very much that Carmen was suddenly powerless to cause her harm. More importantly though, Cassius had just lost his father, the death weighing on him so heavily it was plain to see. He blamed himself, he was intimated to fill his father's shoes. The very last thing he needed right now was to have to deal with his mother as well.

"His grace has a lot on his plate right now. It would be cruel to add to his worries right now. I- I'll tell him when the time is right." She lied at the end, having no intention of being the cause of a rift between mother and son. What if Carmen hated her even more, what if years down the line Cassius blamed her for him falling out with his mother? No, she wouldn't be the reason for discord amongst the Marcellus' unless strictly necessary.

Clementine made a non committed sound along the line of 'whatever you say', but Emmeline didn't push the matter. She trusted Clem. "What do I wear tonight?" She asked, wanting to change the subject.

It did the trick. "Well, his grace officially claimed you are his pair earlier, in front of the whole manor." She swooned dramatically, like it was the most romantic thing ever. Emmeline chuckled, she supposed that was what he had done, the significance of that moment only really hitting her now. "So, you have to dress like a duchess now."

She frowned. "And what does a duchess wear?" She asked, thinking of Carmen's excessively elaborate outfits.

Clementine clapped her hands together. "Well your dresses are mostly fine, but you need to let me work my magic with the rest yes?"

Emmeline felt like she had stumbled into a trap. "Sure Clem, you can do my hair and makeup how you like." She sighed, knowing her maid would be delighted by this. Clementine was always urging her to be more adventurous with her style.

An hour later Emmeline's cheeks hurt from laughing. It was like a mighty weight had been lifted off her chest. Cassius was home safe. He liked her, better, he loved her. She loved him back. He made it clear that he wasn't going to reject their pairing. All of the anxieties she had been carrying for so long floated away as Clementine made her laugh as she got ready.

Her dress was one she had only worn a couple times. A dark red gown with long elaborately embroidered sleeves, Clementine dropped a heavy gold chain around her neck. It had been a wedding gift from the King and Emmeline had been both too scared to wear it and too scared to sell it. On her chest, Clementine pinned the Marcellus crest broach he had given her at Emily's ball.

A soft knock sounded at the door and Clementine made a manically excited face. "Do you think it's his grace?" She whispered.

"Open the door and we'll know." Emmeline replied, chuckling.

Clementine rushed to the door, opening it wide. "Your grace!" She greeted, shooting Emmeline a happy look.

"Come in." She called to Cassius, seeing his large frame appear through the door moments later. "My hair is not completely finished." She warned as he rounded the corner.

Moving to stand behind her as she sat at her dressing table he dropped a hand onto her shoulder.

"And yet, you are lovelier than ever." He murmured, pressing a kiss to her temple before retreating to the sofa where they had sat on the day he left.

He looked devilishly handsome. The dark green of his tunic made his shoulder seem all the wider, his

Clementine positively skipped as she moved to finish Emmeline's hair. "Cassius." Emmeline called, struck with a sudden idea.

"Yes Emmie." He replied, his attention on the pile of books on her coffee table. There were many lengths of ribbon sticking out from between the pages of each, marking passages she had sent in her letters to him. In the mirror she could see him behind her, smiling at the book as he realised what the ribbons meant.

"Clementine has been my closest companion over the last few months." Her maid's hands froze mid-braid. "I have named her my lady's-maid but I would like to make it official now you are back."

Cassius glanced up, meeting her gaze in the mirror, his smile still firmly in place. "Clementine." He called, her maid spinning on the spot and dropping into a wobbly curtsey and she almost overbalanced.

"Your grace." She gushed.

"You have been a loyal help to my Emmeline, yes?" He asked, stretching out his legs.

"Yes, your grace. I'd do anything for my mistress." She vowed with so much determination in her voice that Emmeline felt a wave of affection for her young maid.

Cassius' lip twitched with amusement. "Excellent. Then I agree. You shall be my pair's lady's-maid and continue to serve her well. You will receive a raise in your wages, what do you make now?" He asked.

Clementine was trembling. "Five silver pieces a week." She muttered, her voice catching in her throat.

Cassius was clearly enjoying himself, his good mood seemed to fill the room. "Then how about we make it forty?"

Clementine looked up in shock. "A month, your grace?"

Emmeline grinned, knowing what Cassius was about to say. "Oh no, I think forty silver pieces a week is a good reward for being so dedicated to my pair in my absence."

Clementine looked like she might faint. "I- I am very grateful, your grace."

"Clem, come finish." Emmeline called after a couple seconds.

Clementine rushed to return to her work but her hands were shaking. Reaching up, Emmeline covered her hand with her own. "Thank you." Clementine whispered.

"Thank you." She replied, squeezing her maid's hand for a few seconds before letting her go.

Emmeline and Cassius chatted lightly whilst Clementine finished her hair. She seemed to move at double speed, perhaps because of her new pay-rise, or because the new duke was waiting. "Finished." She announced. Emmeline thanked her, standing and stretching a little after sitting still for so long.

Cassius stood as well, holding out his good arm for her to come into his arms. "You are so beautiful." He murmured into her hair.

.........................................................................

Author's Note:

Clem deserves this.

S x