Chapter Sixty-Three

Emmeline had just tucked into her eggs when the doors to the dining room burst open. Cassius turned in his seat, brows furrowed in surprise as his mother and father rushed into the room.

"It has come, son." Victor announced gravely whilst Carmen shed silent tears.

Emmeline's eyes were wide with confusion as Victor handed Cassius a thick letter, the royal seal hanging off the edge. The gold sealing wax caught the light as Cassius hurried to read it, surprising her by handing it over to her once he had finished.

Emmeline hesitated only a fraction of a second before taking it and rapidly scanning the page.

Brother,

Our worst fears have come to pass, and now is the time for action.

Call on your vassals and your banner men.

We will meet on the lands near Meadowlark Lake on the 15th of October.

Your King and devoted brother,

Virgil

Emmeline stared at the page a second longer before looking up at the room. Father and son were staring at each other hard whilst Carmen glared at her directly. It wasn't her fault this was happening, and glaring at her wouldn't change the contents of the letter. Ever since Emily's ball, Carmen had turned from frosty to outwardly hostile towards her. They had never been cordial, but at least Carmen had pretended not to completely despise her. Whatever had happened at the ball had caused a shift in the Marcellus' matriarch and Emmeline would be lying if she wasn't intimidated by the petite woman.

"I should write to my father." She said, breaking the silence.

Victor nodded. "I will be glad to have Killian at my side. Cassius, once you have eaten, come and find me. We have much to do."

Patting a strong hand on his son's shoulder, he nodded to Emmeline before steering Carmen out of the room. The silence left in their wake was suffocating.

"You will go with him?" Emmeline asked eventually. Cassius glanced up at her, eyes flashing.

"It is my duty." He explained carefully.

Emmeline just nodded, not trusting herself to speak for a second. She felt... odd. Like her throat had sealed itself shut as she tried to swallow painfully. Taking a forced sip of juice she finally spoke. "Of course." The words sounding weirdly strangled.

Cassius reached across the table to cover her hand with his own. "Are you worried?" He asked, eyes intense as ever. She struggled to look away, gently tugging her hand free. It was dangerous touching him, it crossed a line she had put up in her mind.

Taking a deep breath and straightening her spine, she tried to smile. "It will be an honour for you to accompany your father out onto the battlefield I am sure." She nodded mechanically. "My brothers will also go with my father." She added, thinking of her many siblings. How many would go with her father? Most if not all, she imagined. Her heart twanged at the thought of them in harm's way, Atticus, Justus and Felix especially.

Cassius sighed heavily, dropping his fork, and reaching across to grab both of her hands more solidly. His long fingers caged her hands easily. "Emmie." He urged softly. "It's okay to be worried."

Meeting his gaze, her voice sounded very small. "Are you worried?"

Cassius thought about her question, tilting his head to the side a little as he considered. "In some ways, yes, and in others no." Letting go of her he sat back in his seat, self reflective.

"I'd be a fool to say the thought of war doesn't concern me. No sensible person looks at war completely unafraid." He tented his fingers, leaning forwards to capture her gaze up in his own. "And yet, I have faith in the gods to keep me safe. I have faith in my uncle the king, and I have faith in our people to fight valiantly. We will succeed."