Chapter Nine

Emmeline would've liked to have worn the dress Atticus had given her to the pairing; however Mellissa had politely told her that that wasn't a good idea. Everyone arrived dressed the same to this ceremony, it levelled the playing field so that everyone, regardless of wealth, status, and rank approached their pair as equals. The concept was oddly beautiful but her respect for this rule dissipated when she saw what she was expected to wear to meet her ordained partner. Not dissimilar to yesterday's shapeless jumpsuit, she was today kitted in a dark blue long simple skirt, long sleeved bodice, and a jacket. The fabric was thin and of lesser quality, but the tailoring had been done well, the garments fitting and suiting her well enough despite their simplicity. Brushing her own hair she did her best to make the long strands lay neatly, but she couldn't quite recreate the way Hazel made her hair shine. She would have to get used to doing things for herself, she thought, giving the brush a final run through her locks.

Mellissa was waiting for her when she answered the door, a bright smile speaking to her excitement. Emmeline wondered if she felt the same, was she excited? It was hard to tell over the nerves she was battling. Perhaps underneath her anxiety there was a flicker of excitement? Perhaps.

They were heading in a different direction to yesterday. She had assumed they would return to the same hall as yesterday, but Mellissa only shook her head with a knowing grin.

Upon entering the pairing hall she understood why. The great circular room was far grander than anything she had expected. Gilded with golds and silvers, vast masterpieces covered the walls and domed ceilings. Scenes of people being paired were depicted over and over, expressions of joy and love staring at her from every angle.

Women were led to one side of the room, with men on the opposite side. The final third of the room was filled with spectators, families there to support their loved ones and welcome their new family members. Emmeline was caught by Mellissa as she went to follow the other women. Guilt twanged in her stomach, she had been so focused on the hall that she almost walked away without saying goodbye. "Thank you for everything Mellissa." She smiled, hugging the older woman gently for a moment. Mellissa grabbed her tightly, holding her affectionately for a second. "You will have a wonderful life Emmeline. I am sure of it."

Emmeline smiled widely, grateful to have had such a compassionate examiner. "Visit me if you are ever by the temple." Mellissa made her promise before letting her go to where the other women were sitting waiting.

Taking her seat Emmeline looked for Atticus amongst the family and friends seating, scanning each face hopefully. It was quickly obvious however that he wasn't there. No one had come to support her. None of her brothers, not even her father. Part of her wasn't surprised, but that didn't lessen the heavy disappointment she felt. At least Mellissa was there for her, she told herself.

Her breathing felt shallow from nerves and with her hands held tightly together she sent up a prayer to Bivera. Please be kind with my pairing. She thought fervently as she looked around.

 There were many people gathered. Some were wearing the same simple clothes as her to show they were from this year's intake. Others were wearing the same outfits in different colours to signal they were from previous years. This was a real and frightening possibility. Not everyone found a perfect partner right away and therefore had to wait year on year, returning to the ceremony each cycle to see if this time a partner had been found for them. The thought of this made her feel sick. Waiting, even now, felt unbearable. How would she feel having to wait for potentially years, just to be matched with some commoner who couldn't give her the life she was used to, as Atticus had phrased it. She shook her head at the possibility and sent up a silent prayer for that not to happen.