Chapter Seventy-Four

Bright and early the next day, Emmeline said goodbye to Arabella, Madeleine, and the children with many hugs and kisses and promises to visit. Carmen was showered with compliments and thanks for her hospitality, and before any more could be said they were gone.

Emmeline felt her happiness leave with them as she watched the carriage shrink into the distance. "Thank you for hosting my family." She said robotically to Carmen who was still at her side, watching also.

"Hmm. Your sisters-in-law were quite charming, as were their children. It is a shame you are not more like them." Turning on her heel she left Emmeline alone in the hall with just her thoughts for company.

After weeks of such busy days, the sudden change was jarring. Twice she looked up from her book to tell Arabella or Madeleine about what she had read only to remember that she was alone. Her dinner privileges had also been revoked. Clementine had told her she was barred from eating with the Duchess and produced her usual plate of scraps. However, it was with a grin that she delivered this news, her other hand behind her back.

"Let me see." Emmeline smiled, not even remotely surprised that things had returned to the way they were before. Clementine gave an excited chuckle and then produced a small cake from behind her back.

"Clem! This will surely be noticed! You must take it back at once before someone realises." She was positively panicked at her maid's boldness.

Clementine shook her head. "No need. This one was made for you." She announced positively shaking with excitement.

Emmeline frowned, confused. "Me?"
The young maid nodded. "Chef made the main one for her grace, but then he made an extra one just for you. The kitchen staff have been helping me for weeks to get food for you behind her grace's back."

Emmeline looked from her maid to the cake. It was simply decorated, far simpler than anything that would've been served to Carmen. White icing had been decorated with a smiley face. "Chef's daughter Colleen added the face. She said you have been looking sad without Master Cassius to cheer you up."

The emotions she had been biting down on came flooding to the surface all at once. She pulled the surprised Clementine into a tight hug, crying into her shoulder as the maid gave her a one armed pat, her other hand still holding the precious cake.

"Tell- tell Chef and Colleen, that I am very grateful. Very grateful indeed." She wiped her eyes, trying to collect herself. "You must have a slice with me." She insisted, ignoring Clementine's protests and cutting two pieces.

"For the longest time I thought I had only you on my side but-" She paused, giving Clem a watery smile.

Clementine shook her head. "No. Lots of the staff still hold strong to the pairing. Your dedication to Master Cassius, despite that old witch treating you so badly." She stopped herself with a shocked blink, holding a hand over her mouth. Emmeline only chuckled. "I won't argue with you."

"Well, with that- with her grace treating you so badly, and you still staying anyways. Lots of the staff think it is very honourable."

Emmeline was shocked. Given how casually the Grand Duke and Duchess had discarded the sanctity of the pairing, she had only assumed that the staff would share their attitudes. It seemed, however, that the opposite was true.

"Well I have to stay. I promised him." She mumbled, feeling a little embarrassed.

Clementine nodded. "And that is exactly why I like you so much, mistress. You're a good person."

At her absolute insistence, Clementine stayed with Emmeline in her chambers chatting and enjoying the cake together. She was grateful for the company and Clementine grateful for the cake. She told Emmeline of how when she was a child her mother used to save up and take her to the cake shop once a month to pick out something sweet. After she had begun working herself it had become harder and harder for them to continue the ritual, instead writing letters to each other about what they would've picked were they nearer one another. Emmeline learned of how Clementine's mother was a seamstress in the Capital, working in a fine dress shop. She enjoyed hearing her maid boast about how fine her mother's work was, the young girl obviously proud. Her maid's previous excitement whenever Emmeline needed to order new clothes, now made more sense.

"When I have enough money saved, I will go home and surprise her with the biggest cake in the shop. We will sit together and eat it just like this." She vowed, her eyes half in focus as she daydreamed about the cake shop far, far away.

Emmeline immediately formulated a plan on how she would repay Clementine for her kindness. She didn't have vast sums of money left, but Emmeline vowed that she would pay for Clementine and her mother to visit a cake shop every month for the rest of their lives if they wished. Nothing less would be sufficient to repay her maid for her unwavering devotion and kindness.

................................................................................

Author's Note:

 Soon, I promise Cassius will be back soon. 

Not the next chapter though hahaha.

Vote people.

S x