Chapter Ninety-Four

Emmeline had fallen asleep, but he didn't want to wake her, she looked so exhausted that he was certain the extra rest would do her good. Even in dreams her face looked worried, a small crease between her brows. Cassius studied his ordained pair with loving eyes. After their debut in the Capital there would never again be any question as to their relationship. He thought of how they could dance together at the Victory Ball without fear of being too familiar. He was looking forward to introducing her to his cousins and uncle. This trip would be a good one, he was sure, despite the sadness of his father's funeral hanging over their heads.

Sighing he pinched the bridge of his nose, screwing up his face in frustration.

He missed his father, felt his absence keenly, but he felt like he had no time to properly mourn him. Every second of his day was occupied. Rising early he would go see his mother, but often she was hungover, or too emotional to speak to rationally. Then he would have breakfast with Emmeline, one of the few highlights of his day. Then he had to work, if he spent time with Emmeline it meant that he had to work late into the night in order to finalise everything that needed to be done before their departure. Evening dinners with Emmeline and his mother had devolved into a daily nightmare, and he was hoping that once they were in the Capital they could break from that routine.

He didn't want to ignore his mother completely, but it was becoming harder and harder to be around her. Her vitriol towards Emmeline had him doubting his mother's claims that she and Emmeline had been close during his time away.

His Emmeline. He studied the curves of her face like he was trying to memorise it. There were blueish bags under her eyes, and her cheeks were beginning to look a little hollow. Worry felt like a vice around his heart. She was far iller than she wanted him to know, and that alone terrified him.

Emmeline's maid visited his rooms early in the morning several days ago; the girl's timid knock on his chamber door taking him by surprise. Consumed with concern for her mistress, Clementine had come to beg Cassius to take her to a doctor. Taken aback, both by the forwardness of a servant knocking on her master's door so early, but also by the loyalty required for Clementine to have acted so inappropriately, only made him like the girl more. She was truly dedicated to Emmeline if she was willing to risk waking him and being punished.

Unable to keep any of her main meals down for longer than a few minutes, Emmeline was beginning to lose weight at an unhealthy rate. Since Cassius' return, Clementine explained that Emmeline had been gradually returning to a healthy weight. Proper sized meals, and plenty of snacks had filled her hollow cheeks, and made her ribs and collarbones less pronounced against her skin. The young maid was sure to tell Cassius how she had made it her personal mission to ensure Emmeline had access to snacks, cakes, and tasty treats at all times, feeling satisfied and proud of her mistress's weight gain. All of that progress, however, was being rapidly undone. She balled both her hands up into fists, covering her eyes with them when she said how Emmeline had yelled and refused to see a doctor. "She doesn't want to concern you, your grace, but, but she's just so unwell." Clementine had moaned, tears in her eyes.

After thanking her for letting him know, and assuring her that he would take Emmeline to see the royal physician when they reached the Capital in a couple days, Cassius had given Clementine a secret task. Handing her an empty pocketbook, he had instructed her to make note of what did and did not make Emmeline ill. The maid had thanked him profusely, diligently completing the task, but try as she might she couldn't find anything that was consistently safe, save from fruit and nuts. The small notebook had become a permanent addition in her skirt pocket and was filled with foods, dates, times and then a smiling or sad face next to them. Smiley face meant good, a sad face meant bad.

She had handed Cassius the book that morning before they set off, insisting that she be called should Emmeline need anything. He liked Clementine a lot, glad he had increased her pay. She deserved it.