Chapter Seventeen

Clementine had directed her to a small dining room tucked out of the way. It was evident that the room was rarely needed, the room smelling musty from lack of use. She ate her smoked salmon and eggs quickly, enjoying the taste but not her lack of company. Breakfasts back home were busy affairs. Her brothers and their wives and children were loud and noisy, and while she wasn't often included in their conversations, it was still nice to be in the same room as everyone else. Sitting alone felt odd after so many years of living amongst her many siblings.

Marcellus Manor was far larger than it appeared from the front. Wings and annexes had been added over the centuries creating a maze of complex hallways, additions, and twisting turns. Emmeline was impressed by everything she saw, the materials used were the very best. Every hall was lined with works of art, many being portraits of passed family members if the small gold plaques were to be believed. A collection of fine blue and white china vases had been arranged on a long table in the hallway and Emmeline had spent a good amount of time studying them. It was better than any museum she had visited in the capital. The antiques and paintings on display made her wonder just how many treasures the Marcellus' owned if they could use such masterpieces just to decorate their empty halls.

She spent the morning walking aimlessly around with no real sense of direction or urgency. Focusing on the north and east wings she hadn't even ventured into the busier parts of the house when she was found by Clementine who insisted she eat lunch. Her maid refused to sit down with her while she ate. 'It wasn't her place' she said for the fourth time when Emmeline had almost begged her to at least sit if she wouldn't eat with her. She hated to eat alone.

"What is your plan for this afternoon my lady?" Clementine asked, changing the subject with all the subtlety of a charging bull. Emmeline gave her a final pleading look before acquiescing and answering.

"I intend to explore the gardens." She noted lightly. She had enjoyed walking the gardens back home, the fresh air always welcome when living in a house with so many people. It was peaceful outside, and if her glimpses out of the windows were anything to go by, the grounds of Marcellus Manor were leagues above whatever she had experienced back home. Just like everything else here, she thought dryly to herself.

The grounds of the manor were indeed immaculate. Such a spectacle of colour and design would've been a popular attraction back in the Capital. Emmeline tried to imagine herself walking with her best friends, Lavender and Emily, amongst the cream gravel paths and carefully constructed flower beds. The sheer size was intimidating, stretching out before her as far as her eyes could see. Rather than being disheartened by the scale, she instead found the prospect greatly comforting. She would be able to spend a great many days exploring outside without retracing her steps, meaning she had a legitimate reason not to be inside, and away from the other occupants of the manor.

Following a random path she wandered aimlessly along just as she had inside. Not knowing where anything was, or what lay ahead made it difficult to have a destination in mind. So she simply walked without an end point in mind, content to just see where her gravely trail led. The gardens of her home were well kept, even boasting some exotic species that her father had brought back from his travels; but they paled in comparison to the gardens she now walked through. It was clear that at some point, one of the Marcellus' ancestors had been an avid collector of unusual species. Many strange and unfamiliar plants having grown to maturity in the sunny yet cool landscape.

Emmeline wasn't sure how long she had been outside but when she turned back, the house suddenly looked much smaller. The hilltop upon which the manor sat gave it some impressive views, she had to admit. Once one strayed away from the house a bit, and the larger trees were behind you, a person could see the villages far away, down in the valleys below.

It was still summer, just about, but it was far cooler than the climate back home. Marcelia sat in the far North, some referred to the duchy by its nickname, the Crown of the Country, the large stretch of territory forming the upper portion of Justinia. Emmeline shivered a little as a strong wind blew across the gardens. Guess I need to get used to it. She told herself, rubbing her arms a little and moving on the spot a bit to warm up. Watching the village from on-high made her feel oddly lonely. She wondered what it was like down in the towns and hamlets and villages of Marcelia. Were the people happy? Did they view the hilltop where she stood with fear or respect? She didn't know.

Shaking herself from her spiral she moved on quickly. It was too cold to stand still for so long. She told herself. There would be plenty of time to look at the view when it wasnt so breezy. 

============================================

Author's Note:

Vote and comment your thoughts!

Sophie x