Chapter Seventy-Three

The time Madeline and Arabella spent at Marcellus Manor seemed to fly past. Emmeline worried over how quickly time was passing, scared that if she blinked, they might have left, and she would've missed it. Carmen kept everyone busy, with games in the ballroom when it was too cold to venture outside, trips to the local town, indoor treasure hunts for the children, and more. Emmeline found herself almost forgetting how cruel she had been before her sisters' arrival, the woman positively beaming whenever Emmeline saw her.

Cassius' letters remained indescribably precious to her. When Clementine appeared one morning with a reply from him at breakfast, she had quickly hidden the letter away. She had spent the entire day counting down the hours till she would be alone before dinner so that she could read his reply.

Oh Emmeline,

You don't know the effect you have on me. If I had you in front of me now- well. Perhaps it would be better to say such things in person rather than on paper.

She felt her inside squeal like a girl at his words. Her cheeks flamed red as she reread the first two lines. Clementine was content to be ignored by her mistress as she readied her for dinner. The maid grinning at the expression on her mistress's face as she read.

It had been a stroke of luck that had led to Clementine serving Emmeline. Everyone had been expecting a poor common girl that would have no idea how to conduct herself or what to say. Clementine had grumbled when she had been chosen, knowing that she had been given a job that would be tiresome and difficult. She wasn't much of a teacher, and certainly wasn't much of a babysitter. So, imagine her surprise when it was a young noble lady that met her in that inn.

Clementine had come to care deeply for her mistress, watching her determination to remain at Master Cassius's side despite the machinations of the Marcellus family. Especially his mother. Clementine hadn't told her, but much of the staff had begun to warm to her after so many months. At first, talk in the servants' quarters had been mixed, but mostly negative. Some were relieved that at least the girl had some noble blood, but others saw her as an upstart that would be difficult to cast aside. Most felt that Master Cassius deserved a bride from only the best family and that Emmeline Elva was an obstacle to this. Yet, there were some who spoke of the old ways, when the pairing had been more respected. Those who viewed the pairing as law had been her biggest supporters from the start, and as Emmeline endured the trials her new family had subjected her to, the servants had to begrudgingly respect her dedication to the pairing. Clementine had openly shared how devotedly the young Master and her mistress wrote to one another, how she had personally prepared Christmas gifts for their young master. How she worried over his safety.

For many of the staff, who had seen the young master grow up and cared for him deeply, this had won them around to Emmeline's side. Clementine now had help each night when she went to smuggle food for her, the net bag packed and ready to go on the servants table when she entered the kitchens.

Before she knew it, it was the night before Arabella and Madeleine were due to leave. Finneas had relayed a message from their father that the war was coming to a close, a final push was planned and after that he expected things to end quickly. Finneas had urged them to return to their family lands so that they could be present when their husbands finally arrived home. On the one hand Emmeline was saddened that they were leaving, but the prospect of Cassius returning made her feel hopeful. They spent their final day enjoying the gardens despite the cold weather, although the snow had at least melted away. Madeleine insisted it was good for the children to run off their energy before such a long carriage ride. Really, Emmeline suspected that her sister was just too restless to stay inside, pacing the paths at a pace that had her semi-breathless trying to keep up. Madeleine loved Justus very much. Even though they had an arranged marriage, they had grown to care for one another deeply. Arabella did care for Felix, but it was not to same degree that Madeleine and Justus cherished each other. Emmeline had noticed that any mention of the war made her oldest sister-in-law immediately on edge, as if she were trying hard to ignore that her husband was away, and that any mention of where he was was a harsh and sudden reminder. She didn't blame her, it seemed as good a strategy as any for coping with the uncertainty of the men's absence. Arabella had been a good sport, changing the subject to plans for the future.

"We must have you and Cassius come to visit us once everyone is home. I absolutely must meet him." She had announced during their final meal together.

"I am sure Emmeline will be with you again before long." Carmen said, her tone cooler than normal.

Madeleine raised an eyebrow but didn't comment on the change in their host. "I am sure the pair will be keen to spend time together at home with Master Cassius having been away for so long."

Carmen nodded. "I am sure my son misses his home greatly." She agreed, stabbing a carrot with particular aggression.

.............................................................

Author's Note:

Let me know what you are thinking of the book so far? 
 S x