Chapter Twenty-Eight

The walk back to the manor took longer than she expected. Having not realised just how far she had strayed from the manor's manicured gardens; it was dark by the time she saw the imposing building rise from the horizon. Light from the countless windows acted like beacons in the dimness, streaming out to illuminate patches of the gardens. Emmeline paused to catch her breath a little. The darkness had made her hurry, not liking the idea of being caught alone in the night by a stranger. It had been foolish to let herself wander so far, but her anger had made her reckless.

In spite of herself, she had to admit that the manor really was a piece of wonderful architecture. Everything had been finished to the highest quality, generation after generation of unrivalled wealth having created a family stronghold that expressed their strength far better than words ever could. If those inside weren't so unwelcoming, she could've looked past the way the structure intimidated her. Pity.

Something grabbed her arm hard as she admired the manor, making her scream. A hand slapped over her mouth as she was forcibly spun around to face her attacker. Cassius looked positively murderous as he held her roughly.

"Stop." He instructed, releasing her mouth but giving her arm a short shake to reaffirm the point.

Looking pointedly down at where he was holding her arm, he just tutted and ignored her, guiding them both back towards the light.

"You missed evening dinner." He stated, obviously furious at that fact.

Emmeline shot him a dark look, feeling the way his grip tightened on her in response. "I assumed your new prospective bride would feel uncomfortable having me there."

Cassius hesitated for a second. Had he really thought she wouldn't notice Ottilie Claude and her entourage arriving? "What? Did you think me too stupid to notice you have your new wife visiting? Is she having a tour before you marry, so she can get to grips with being the new Lady Marcellus a little faster?" Her words were laced with a bitterness she knew betrayed her.

Cassius's grip slackened, his breathing slowing a fraction as he stared down at her. What was he thinking? Was he angry? Surprised? Outraged? Sad? She honestly couldn't have said in the dimness of the garden, the pair of them obscured from sight by the night and the foliage around them.

"So, you thought you would get my attention by running away? A childish gesture if I do say so." He retorted after a pause that lasted just a little too long. As if he couldn't help himself, his eyes kept flicking downwards, to where her riding gear clung to her figure. If things were different the attention might have been nice, but the gesture only made her angrier. How dare he look at her after all he had done?

Emmeline made an unladylike noise. "Please Cassius. I am not so starved for your attention that I would resort to casting myself in the role of a damsel. Did you think I was scared in the darkness and needed you to come save me? Please."

With a move that hurt more than she would've liked to admit she yanked herself out of his grip and crossed her arms, covering herself. His hold hadn't been hurting her, but that didn't mean she liked the contact. "I simply wanted to put as much distance as possible between myself, you, and your family." With a jab of her finger she prodded him in the chest and turned on her heel, marching back into the light of the manor. She didn't wait for his reply as she re-entered the house without him. Balling up her stolen shawl under her arm, she made sure her head was held high as she walked through the house, heading directly for her chambers. Once safely inside she handed the bundle to Clementine, instructing her to return it to its proper owner.

By the time she had gone to bed, her temper finally settled some, her stomach began its protesting, rumbling loudly. She hadn't eaten since her pitiful attempt at breakfast. Rage and hurt burned through her as she stared unseeing at the canopy above her bed in the pitch black.

Who did he think he was to bring a potential marriage match so brazenly to his home when his ordained pair was also present? Did he have such little regard for her?

Obviously. She seethed.

A small voice in the back of her mind argued that he had ventured out into the garden to search for her. He had been bothered that she hadn't been at dinner.

He was just irritated because he thought she had run away. It hardly counted as caring, she told herself sternly.

He might be handsome on the outside but on the inside Cassius Marcellus was thoroughly rotten and ugly.

...

Author's Note:

Okay so I've worked out how to schedule chapters. I can't believe it took me this long to work this out. 

Sophie.