Chapter Twelve

"When will we reach your estate?" She asked politely.

He shot her a look that was less than warm. "We've been riding through my family lands for the last hour."

Emmeline blushed, hating herself for it. "Oh I see." Was all she said, quietly playing with the fabric of her skirts between her fingers.

Cassius clicked his tongue disapprovingly, making her feel even more stupid. "Your family didn't come to see your pairing." He noted loftily.

She raised an eyebrow as she looked up at him. "Neither did yours."

"I asked them not to." He muttered as if the conversation was already boring him. His side profile was strong, the clenched jaw and straight angular nose was at odds with the soft curve of his lips and the almond shape of his eyes.

Emmeline ceased her staring, instead focusing on the view that trundled past them. "Given that my father didn't even say goodbye to me when I left, I wasn't really hopeful for the support." She shrugged.

The man across from her scoffed. "Some father."

She chuckled, surprising herself. She covered her mouth as she did, hiding her laughter behind her hands as if that would reduce the impropriety of a daughter mocking her father. "He has never liked me much. He had six sons before I was born, so I wasn't needed."

Cassius tutted. "Must be nice. I am an only child and therefore have the entire weight of my family upon me."

Emmeline cast him a sideways glance, but he still wasn't looking at her. Deciding against probing into that statement further, for now, she let them lapse back into silence.

.

The approach to the Marcellus family seat was exactly what she expected it to be. In the many hours of silence she had conjured up elaborate images of grand entrance gates, long sweeping approaches, manicured gardens, perhaps even a foreboding castle?

She was not disappointed by what met her upon their arrival. Defensive walls, impossibly tall and cut from dark stone were the first things she saw in the distance. Their carriage had to pass under a portcullis that made her swallow nervously.

It made a certain kind of sense, how could someone as cold and imposing as Cassius have come from anywhere warm and pleasant? No, the lower temperatures and overcast sky seemed to suit her 'perfect' partner perfectly.

The approach to the manor was mind-numbingly long. Her initial excitement to see the building had faded after ten minutes of travelling. How far back did defensive walls really need to be? It just seemed gratuitous to her to have the borders of their manor so far away from the house. Perhaps it was an extension of her feelings towards Cassius, or perhaps it was the weather, but she liked Marcellus Manor less and less the closer they got.

When the manor finally did deign to appear it seemed to heave itself up from the horizon. Hulking in size it was baffling to Emmeline not only in size but in extravagance. Caught between being an ornate country home and a defensive fort, Marcellus Manor seemed to boast the best of everything.

"You seem unimpressed." A voice cut through the silence and Emmeline's deep thoughts.

She threw him a quick look. "It is more than I expected." It was a diplomatic answer. What was she to say? That she thought it was too much? That the thick walls and defences towers made it look uninviting; or that the scroll work was more ornate than anything she had seen, even at the royal palace? That she disliked how the fortifications and the love for decoration were at war with each other everywhere she looked.

"So you are impressed?" Cassius drawled, his eyes watching her a little too closely for her liking. There was an intensity to his stare that made her feel uncomfortable.

Emmeline just nodded half-heartedly, unwilling to meet his appraising gaze and instead returning to study her new home.

===================================================

Author's Note:

Please vote is you are enjoying this book so far. I am having so much fun writing. 

Having the deadline of having to post each week is really keeping motivated. I tend to write a bit and then leave it and this can go on for months, even years, so setting myself this deadline is doing me some serious good. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Sophie.