Chapter Twenty-Four

A positive of being left alone was that it gave her plenty of time to explore the manor. She was hesitant to call it her new home when the Marcellus' had made it clear she was unwelcome, but she was still interested in exploring. Her entire life, she had lived in one place, the Elva estates being far smaller and less grand with far fewer places to discover.

Outside held courts for games like tennis and badminton. There was an extensive complex of stables and outbuildings whose purposes ranged from the practical to the pleasurable.

One of her favourite things she had stumbled upon were the glasshouses. Four greenhouses made from sheets of glass and ornate metal work held exotic plants in various stages of growth. They were nothing however, compared to the glasshouse that sat amongst them. Far larger and more decorative, its large arched ceiling allowed room for the jungle plants and trees that grew inside. Warmer than outside, she had hurried inside to keep the heat in, feeling like she had stepped into a different world. Tables and chairs told her that this was clearly an entertaining space, and she could only imagine how impressed she would be if she had been invited for tea in such a beautiful space. Staring at the glass ceiling she was reminded strongly of a cathedral, this place a temple to nature and exotic flora.

The rest of her discoveries were equally impressive. A billiards room, multiple drawing rooms, a pale pink salon with watercolour paintings that were very pretty to look at, a music room, and an indoor fencing space. There were so many luxuries within the manor, yet they were always empty, devoid of people, of life. It struck her as a little sad. The Marcellus' only had one child, and as she understood it, the generation before had made the same decision. It seemed like the house was desperate for a larger family, for many children, friends, and guests to fill its halls with laughter and life. Hugging herself, she tried to ignore the feeling of loneliness that threatened at the edges of her mind. She missed her family and her friends. Her father might have been cold, but some of her brothers made up for it, and her friends were always a great source of support.

It was with a twang of regret that she finally left the glasshouse, her grumbling stomach telling her it was time to return to the manor. The air outside was positively icy in comparison to the warm humid climate inside. Rubbing her arms with her hands she did a little hopping kind of run back to the house. Not quite a run, but definitely quicker than a walk.

When she finally returned to her rooms Clementine was waiting with a warm blanket and a scowl. "Miss you will catch a cold if you insist on spending so much time outside in this clothing."

Emmeline sighed heavily, she hated being nagged but knew that her maid only spoke out of concern. She so often reminded her of Hazel, her maid at her father's house. A small twinge of guilt twisted at the thought of Hazel. Her last words to her had been a promise to call her to her household if she was paired to a powerful Lord. Well here she was,, but she was sure the Marcellus' wouldn't take well to her calling for extra staff. Maybe one day, she promised herself.

Returning her attention to the present she tutted over the way Clementine was patting the bare skin of her arms and shoulders, making disapproving noises at how cold she was.

The sun was pretty warm when you were outside, it was just the wind that lowered the temperature.

"Clementine I don't have any other outfits." She sighed. Her dresses were on quick rotation, and would quickly be worn out if she carried on this way.

Her maid stopped fussing and put a hand on her hip. Any other mistress would've reprimanded her for her attitude but Emmeline, not for the first time, found herself enjoying the younger girl's sass.

"Miss." She said like Emmeline was missing something obvious.

Emmeline blinked, not following. After a couple seconds of impatient silence Clementine gestured at the many gifts that had begun to clutter her rooms.

It had been two weeks since her avalanche of gifts had arrived. While it had been immensely satisfying seeing them all loaded into her room, Cassius insisting she house them all in her chambers, even the box of cigars Atticus had sent. Now, she felt a little overwhelmed by the mountain of riches.

There were more valuables surrounding her now, than she had ever had in her life. More than enough to buy her a full wardrobe of clothes. Chewing on the inside of her cheek, she worried over using the presents that had been meant for her and Cassius. Would he be angry if she spent the money without asking?

Staring at the neatly arranged piles of gifts she let out a sigh. Cassius had made it abundantly clear he had no interest in any of the presents they had been sent. She doubted he even knew exactly what had arrived. He wouldn't care. Making her decision she nodded to the air. "You're right Clem. Send for a seamstress." She grinned shyly.

Clementine made a triumphant gesture, nodding enthusiastically and tearing from the room at once.

.....

Despite his apparent disinterest, Cassius' father had spoken to his wife about the need to speed up their timeline. A new bride needed to be selected soon, before the news of their pairing was spread too far and all the interested parties dropped out. Cassius liked to think his words had stirred his father into action, but the carriage from the King had probably had something to do with it also.

That morning, when he entered his mother's salon both his parents were sitting waiting for him. Carmen clapped her hands together delicately, her face beaming. "Good, you're here. I have excellent news! Count Claude's daughter is coming for a visit."

Cassius paused mid-step but recovered quickly. When he had asked for things to be sped up he had envisaged them sending a proposal letter or something, he hadn't thought that his mother would invite the girl here. They were already courting danger by seeking marriage alliances whilst his pair was still at the Manor, bringing another woman here before Emmeline decided to go home could be a disaster.

"For how long?" he asked, trying to sound casual.

Carmen simply smiled even wider. "A fortnight. She should be here in five days."

Falling rather than sitting into a chair he rubbed his closed eyes with a frustrated huff. "Mother. Have we considered that Miss Elva could claim we have mistreated her if we bring Miss Claude here?" He fought to keep his tone level, the muscle in his jaw twitching.

It felt like he was tense almost everyday at the moment, his body tired from the near constant stress.

Victor made a dismissive sound. "We'll just offer her more money to remain quiet." He suggested in an off hand kind of way.

Cassius wanted to scream, biting the inside of his cheek hard to prevent himself from speaking the thought at the front of his mind. Throwing money at a problem was not a fix-all cure. Carmen seemed to have just ignored her son's words altogether, still smiling brightly.

"I have instructed the Hyacinth rooms to be made up for her." She beamed.

Cassius groaned internally. The Hyacinth Suite was usually reserved for a duchess-in-waiting before her wedding. His mother had stayed in those rooms, and his grandmother, and great grandmother before them.

Victor was also smiling rather smugly, like he had solved a great problem. Cassius resisted the urge to glare at his father. This wasn't what he had meant when he had asked for things to be sped along. A bride didn't visit her new family until after contracts were signed, alliances and arrangements made. To invite her beforehand was not only unusual but foolish.

"I'm going for a walk." He sighed, adding on a hasty. "Thank you for your efforts, mother." half-heartedly as he left. 

..........................................................................................................................................................

Author's Notes:

Vote, comment, enjoy.

Thanks,

Sophie